The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bought an ECU... is it fried???

strokin4dr

A full refund,minus shipping cost, is in order.

atc250r

Staff member
If that is just the ISC section then it is VERY possible that it continued to run fine like that. If I were the seller, I'd give you a refund of the cost of the part and shipping both ways. Buyer beware is one thing, a part that was charred to crap is another. If the seller won't refund everything then that kind of means to me that they would have sold that part even if they knew it had been cooked.

John

Talking to the seller (who has posted threads on two other forums asking people for their input) does not seem like the type of person to rip me off. That being said, $30 compensation is not enough to make me a happy camper or a repeat customer. It would cost me more than the cost of the ECU to fix it, making it worthless to me.

belize1334

The problem is that you can't demand more than he's willing to give unless you have a contract and the motivation to enforce it. If you can get more money out of him then do it. Otherwise cut your losses and move on.

You have a partially fried ECU and $30 cash. That means that it'll cost you another $30, out of pocket, to get it working right. Can you get another better unit for less than that? Probably not.

I understand what you are saying, Roger. However, I didn't purchase this ECU to repair it, I bought it to put it in and go. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

belize1334

I get that, and I can understand your frustration. Still, at some point you have to update your plans and take the most effective course of action FROM THIS POINT. Best of luck.

Terry Posten

The sad part is that a non-turbo, non-eprom ECU is not worth much.

Send it to me, I will only repair what is bad. If the only driver bad is that 1, and replacing the 2 "Rubycon" caps, the cost will be $15 plus $15 return shipping.

The breakdown is:

$10 for caps and cleaning
$5 for each driver

If I find another bad driver, they are $5 each.

Terry, I honestly appreciate what you are willing to do. If I cannot get more of a refund, I will just have to eat it. I do not feel safe putting this in the car, even with the driver(s) replaced. Something that blew up that bad concerns me enough where I wouldn't trust it ever again. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

Terry Posten

That was not the ECUs fault.

That will happen whenever an ISC coil shorts out.

No big deal.

atc250r

Staff member
The drivers blew up because of a shorted ISC. Don't blame the ECU for something that the ISC coils did. Let Terry fix it and install it, it'll be fine.

John

Seller is refunding the price of the ecu. I am willing to eat the shipping cost because I never asked him to open the ecu for inspection. 19psi, the seller, is a STAND UP guy! He was very impressive by posting the situation on TWO forums, asking what others would do in his case. He never talked down of me, only asking others of the ethics of the situation. AMAZING guy. This is not something that would stop me from buying from the seller again. Thank you Kai!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned