The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Carpet in the Galant! (almost)

lunchbox

This is my review of Duplicolor vinyl/fabric paint. If you do this repair/mod, you will need 2 cans but I would get 3 since I painted my package tray at the same time and its nice to make sure you dont run out. Most places only stock one or two cans, but should be able to order more. I got mine from NAPA for around $5.50 a can.

Since carpets for Galant VR-4s are NLA and there are no aftermarket versions available, its really tough to get decent carpet since if its clean, no one wants to sell it, and if its ratty, well, its ratty.

So after talking to a friend of mine that used some of this stuff to dye the carpet in his S10 black 2 years ago and its still holding up, I decided to give it a shot in the interior of the Galant.

I used the charcoal colored paint, its the only close match to the stock interior.

First, I pulled all the seats and trim and console out of the interior. Then I pulled the carpet out and pressure washed it till the water ran clean from it. It took a long time to get it decent looking. There was a lot of stain and dirt in my carpet that would only come out via pressure washing.

Then I let the carpet dry for two full sunny days. I didnt want it to mold and I wanted to make sure the paint would stick. I painted it in my garage, still out of the car. I gave it two full coats and three coats in the most faded areas. I made sure to give each coat in a different direction to make sure to get even coverage.

In the end, it turned out damn nice in my opinion. Feel free to judge for yourself.

IMG_1716.jpg

More pics!
http://www.widsm.org/arnie/images/index.php?album=galant%20vr4%2Fcleaninterior&sortby=name&order=asc

Last edited:

91vr4

That looks REALLY good.. When I got my car, the carpet in it had mold.. I pulled it out and pressure washed the sh*t out of it.. Then I put it back in.. Didnt paint it though.. Its way better then what it started out as, but not as good looking as yours..

JB

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I tried some Plasticote fabric paint on a seat once and it made the fabric feel stiff and scratchy. Of course that wouldn't be as much of a concern with carpet, but did you notice any of that with the Duplicolor?

I took out my trunk panels this past Sunday, dusted them off & use regular rattle can flat black. Since it's the side panels I just used what I had. The damn things look brand new /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif I couldn't believe it. All this time I've been searching for another set in decent condition & all I had to do was go to town with a rattle can. I will use the right fabric paint on the carpet once I find one that's not torn.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I'll try to get some when I get home today.

great job lunchbox it looks tits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

lunchbox

Update on this: 1500 miles and its wearing down slightly in the drivers side footwell.

Otherwise it still looks really good.

While not as good as I would have hoped, I would still say its worthwhile.

strokin4dr

How is it holding up to this day?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned