I started modding/building 1837 back in February of 2014, well before I was ready. I found issues with the car what threw me into building way before I had ever planned to. As a result, the build was unbalanced, and lacked the quality and finish I always envisioned my car having. Since my time and money aren't as plentiful as I wish they were, I had to build as both allowed.
I've been stacking parts and making plans for 1837 well over a year now. The plan all along was to eventually throw the built motor back in the car once I put it together like I wanted. In addition, I wanted the build to be balanced and well rounded overall, and I told myself I wouldn't tear back into the car until I had a parts stack that would allow for that. I busted the trans (which was always a piece of shit) last February when Pot was here. Since the car needed a trans, I figured that was my queue to get my ass in gear and start turning my parts pile into something tangible. Below is about 3 months worth of documentation/work.
So, let's rip this bitch out
I started the motor build with:
6 bolt block punched out 20 over
Stock uncut crank
ARP head and main studs
Ross 2G 85.5mm 8.3:1 forged aluminum pistons
King XP tri-metal racing series main & rod Bearing Set
Eagle H-beam rods sized for a 22mm wrist pin
Verified my measured oil clearances with Plastigauge. They're set a tad on the loose side at .003" right where I wanted them. Also checked the crank end play, which ended up right at .005".
Then checked the ring end gap, ringed the pistons, hung the rods, installed new Spirolox and bearings, and banged them in the bores.
All new hardware for EVERYTHING. OEM BSE, OEM tensioner, Gates belts and pulleys, front case with straight cut gears, etc, etc.
I decided to go with a OEM composite head gasket this time. I also installed ARP head studs and new alignment dowels.
Piece of shit Magnus manifold started leaking again last season (second time since I've had it). So, I had a local shop re-weld the runners. We'll see where it starts leaking next...
Next, I installed the new 2G pickup tube.
Then, hot coated all the exhaust parts and bolted the new 68HTA setup together. After that, I installed new exhaust manifold studs and bolted on the turbo assembly.
So, I needed an oil pressure gauge, but ran out of places to put gauges while not cluttering up the interior. So, I just hacked up the cluster and put it in there. It turned out pretty good, IMO.
Rebuilt the throttle body.
Also spent 1,000 hours sanding my valve cover so the paint would look decent.
Motor dropped in.
New Fuel Lab filter setup.
New BOV bolted up to the badass short route piping Sal @ Street Side Motorsports
made for me.
Sooooo after all that, yesterday, I primed the motor, topped off the fluids and did a preliminary compression test. I got 150 psi on cylinders 4 and 3. In the process of testing number 2, the compression tester hose exploded. I guess that's a good sign. I finished the test with the little stopper insert, and got 150 psi across the board. I kicked on the fuel pump via ECMlink to check for leaks, and all good there as well. So, I cranked up the motor and it fired right up. The car ran great! I wanted to finish the breaking today, but it rained. Go figure. I'll update this again soon when the motor either blows up, or breaks in just fine. Least if it blows up, I'll know who fucked something up
The car isn't done, and I'm not sure it will ever be. But I'm happy with the current status of the build. As long as it end up running as good as it looks, I'll be satisfied for now. Additionally, I needed to get done with 1837 so I can shift my focus to 820 and 1546. Both of those builds need some serious work.
I'm in the process of updating the mod list in my showcase to reflect all the changes I've made to 1837. Questions, comments, feedback welcomed.