The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Advice? Alternator replacement without jacking up car

turdb0

I've searched the forum for this topic, it seems like it's possible to lift it up and out the top. Since I have a jackstand queen in my garage and the gvr4 is currently on my driveway which is sloped badly (think 25% grade), I would want to avoid jacking up the front of the car if need be. I've done alternator replacements before on 1G and 2G. The GVR4 appears a bit tighter in the room department. Car is lowered, but stock under hood, still has AC and PS. I will do the unbolting the radiator brackets and lift it out of the way, or drain it and remove it if need be. Any other suggestions/advice?

MellowVR4

You should have room to remove it.

prove_it

Once the PS pump is moved, you have the room, you'll need to twist it around to find the way to make it fit, but it comes out.

After my 2nd alternator, I chopped the front half of the side engine mount off. That makes life much better.

turdb0

YEs, I know about moving the PS pump out of the way. I'll attempt the replacement this weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

turdb0

So forget the radiator... I had to move the PS out of the way by unbolting a couple brackets. I just unbolted the bracket holding the 2 relays behind the headlight and the ALT was able to fit through the space. I think I might have a loose water hose though (the one next to the oil dip stick). It started leaking as I was trying to fix the alternator through.

tektic

the front waster pipe is held in place with a bolt to the block in front of the #4 cylinder. There is a groove with an o-ring that presses in to the water pump inlet.

turdb0

It's not the water pipe leaking. It's the small hose that goes from the water pipe to the oil filter housing that was leaking. I had to twist the clamp around and I think it caused the leak.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Change that really old piece of hose stat!

If you can access the other ones for your heater core and the ones up near the thermostat housing while you are at it, this may save you a some serious downtime later on; and via surprise!

Those hoses can get really soft and it will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth if you get stranded at an inopportune time.

turdb0

Yes, I was thinking about that while I was working on it. I hope it's ok temporarily for normal driving. I plan to get some silicone hoses to replace it if/when I decide to go with a half size radiator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned