The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New tires and brakes!

turbowop

For 503 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Last drive over the pass to see my girlfriend was a bit white knuckle. My brakes are horrible. Low on pad and super warped. And my old Azenis summer tires are almost bald. Bad combo when it's pouring rain.

So on Monday I ordered up some General Altimax Arctics in 205/70r15. They're big, but I used the same size in a set of Toyo Observes all last winter, which are now dead. $350 shipped from Tirerack and a $25 Visa coming back to me for purchasing a set of four FTW. Had a local place mount them up this morning.

For brakes I ordered from Rock Auto. Just some Raybestos rotors and a set of Wagner pads. Nothing special, but came to only $190 shipped to my door.

I'm just happy that my car won't kill me now due to poor tires and brakes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

944e861559b99e4.jpg

GSX_TC

Lol

IncorpoRatedX

great looking tire size, cant wait to see them on the car.

IncorpoRatedX

damn, those tires are just a touch larger diameter than the 225/50-17 combo im running. that's going to look rowdy.

GSX_TC

Their gonna look like drag tires haha, should look pretty good

turbowop

Yeah, the last set I had this size looked pretty big, but they fill out the fenderwells pretty good. They even work lowered and only rub a tiny bit on the plastic inner fender liner up front. I'm not sure if they'd work with stock struts though due to the height. I'm running GC coilovers on this car so I'm not limited by the wide stock spring perch on width or height.

I'll get some pics up once I get them on the car. Busy weekend...

IncorpoRatedX

well, like i said, my 17's with tire combo is the same diameter as your set up, i have a little room, very little between the stock suspension and the tire.

pics of past fat tire set up?

turbowop

When I put them next to the tires on 1051, which are 245/40r17, they look substantially taller. They're pretty damn tall, haha.

Here are pics from last year. Tires were on GGSX wheels.

944cdf1826ed5de.jpg

944cdf18273f7e7.jpg

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Are u going to put JDM headlight or corners on that one?

turbowop

No. I can't stand JDM headlights. They don't look much different than stock and are aimed for cars that are RHD and drive on the left side of the road. I actually don't mind the stock headlights and corners. It's the USDM bumpers that I think are hideous, hence the JDM bumpers on both of my cars.

BTW, the paint on the 503 bumpers is rattlecan that I did myself. It's holding up well even through ski seasons up and down the mountain passes. I did a thread on that, but figured I'd mention it again.

*edit*

Let me rephrase what I said regarding JDM headlights.

I don't hate them...To me, they just don't look different enough to warrant their install. '93 headlights on the other hand, do, IMO. I only installed JDM corners on 1051 because they have a big enough bulb that can be used as a blinker. I retrofitted a dual filament bulb in them so that I can have a running light as well as a bright blinker. This was done because the JDM projector fogs don't have blinkers and because I don't have JDM headlights with a city bulb to be used as a running light.

I'm not a big fan of installing JDM stuff "just because". If it looks better or performs better than I'm all for it.

Last edited:

fuel

^^ amen.

IncorpoRatedX

93 headlights > JDM

JDM headlights are a waste of a mod.

Brianawd

Speaking of 93 head lights. I have a set to sell if any one is looking.

cheekychimp

I'd really like to see the new tyres Mark. The GTi still looks too high with the Bilsteins on and I think I may well put some of these sized tyres on it, just to fill the fender wells as much as possible.

Last edited:

Barnes

While you are there, please inspect your brake lines. 2 years ago I was going over Hwy-12 right before xmas to visit my folks. There was a pretty serious snow storm rolling through so the roads were wrecked. (aka, awesome fun in the GVR-4) but on the way down the pass towards Packwood I lost BOTH rear brake lines at the same time. It was a tense the rest of the way to parents house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

GSX_TC

Quoting Alpha Male:
93 headlights > JDM

Lol yeah right

EgonOlsen

Quoting Alpha Male:
93 headlights > JDM

Bugger I have limited number of mods im allowed to make?
Wish someone had told me that earlier.

Im going EDM headlights, just to be different(or because the US ones aint legal here)

EgonOlsen

I would think EDM headlights would make more sense than the JDM ones for US, since they are for lefthand drive.
and they are pretty much the same, are they not? except for the black backcasing ofc.

GSX_TC

The EDM ones have that neat little adjustability thing to them. I believe Garfield has them on his car.

And the reason I like the JDM headlights is mainly for their aggressive look, I've always wanted a set and think they look alot meaner than the Usdm ones. They just look soooo much better and look like they were meant to go on these cars more than the US ones do. Plus now that the galant uses H4 now this makes it pretty convenient with my other cars also being H4 aswell. They also seem to be alot brighter than my USDM ones too but who knows.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts