The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New tires and brakes!

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting turbowop:
Sorry, car is still on jackstands awaiting new rear calipers before I can put it all back together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

which side? i happen to have a brand new rear one.

turbowop

FedEx showed up with my new rear calipers today, so I was able to get everything installed and tested. Everything works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

944e8f9c14cc50f.jpg

944e8f9c150c9e3.jpg

944e8f9c153ffaa.jpg

IncorpoRatedX

fuuuuuuuuuuuuck, that thing looks rowdy.

dewman

Gawdammmmm! You're gonna be able to drive vertically! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

cheekychimp

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I am so going to do that to the GTi.

turbowop

They rub a little on the front plastic inner fender lining when turning in parking lots, but that's it. I wouldn't suggest using a tire any taller than this. There isn't much room left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

Optical illusion. I noticed that as well after I uploaded the pic, but that's not how it really sits. I think the pavement in that pic just sloped the direction the car was facing.

kartorium

Probably the shadow under the car too. Big tires make me happy, I gotta get a new subi soon and plan on going back to that size or bigger on whatever I get. Right now I have those nice hankooks, but they just aren't tall enough for the deep snow.

turbowop

I like this size because it fits well, and is the cheapest out of all the other sizes. These tires are great bang for the buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

kartorium

Yep, I think its cause all the outbacks and fozzies run that size. I'm definitely going back soon, makes the car a freaking monster in the snow!

Dude, now all the grey car needs is some Hella lights on the front bumper fitted with some HID's and it'll be complete for winter adventures!

cheekychimp

Mark,

Is your car lowered much compared to stock as it sits now? After fitting the Bilsteins to the GTi in the UK the best ride height I could get due to the back sitting too high was this

I am already using lowering springs at the back and have cut three coils off those so this is as low as I can go. I'm just wondering if going to these tyres will fill the wheel wells or if I'm still going to have a big gap like you had originally

BTW your new General Altimax Arctics look much bigger than the previous Toyo Observes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

turbowop

It's lowered probably an inch from stock as it sits now. I had it pretty jacked up from stock in those two pics.

And yeah, these new tires are a little bit taller than the Toyos. I'm not sure why, as they're labeled as the same size. These Generals are probably 1/2" taller when I put them side by side. Some of that might have to do with the brand new tread, which is pretty deep.

BTW, I'm really jealous of those O.Z. wheels you have.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

Well it might not look too bad then. I think the GTi maybe sits an inch taller than stock now. It's hard to tell just from photos. I have a picture of a supposedly stock AMG on my iPad and that looks to be at least as high if not higher.

If you really like those wheels, I'll keep you in mind for next year. I am going to be doing a 5-lug conversion on the VR4 in the spring and once that's done, I won't be able to use my AMG rims on that car anymore. I might put the AMGs on the GTi. I figure tyres this tall are the best protection for rare wheels. I doubt you can find a curb tall enough to inflict curb rash anymore right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Edit: Can you take a few more pics with the car on the level and from a few different angles. It looks really cool. It reminds me of Nate's car wearing the Hoosiers. That picture he did in the graveyard with water droplets sitting on the freshly waxed paint was a classic.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned