GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Technical Discussions » the car keeps dieing
Previous thread Next thread

the car keeps dieing

steverussell
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 899339 posted 05/16/10 09:58 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I'm having problems driving. I'm not sure how to explain this so bare with me. When I'm driving and go to shift and let the rpms drop the car wants to die and sometimes does. Then if driving and just put the car in nuetral the will car die. So today I checked over everything on the car made sure I didnt have any vaccum leaks zip tied everything. I put on a hks bov today. Cause the last bov had a little hole on the back so it would let out alittle air and I thought that maybe the problem. But it still dies and I don't know why.

| | | IP: (75.132.3.139) | Report this post to a Moderator

deez
Nutz

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 899341 posted 05/16/10 10:01 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Welcome to the world of Mitsubishi, have fun. I've been fighting a similar problem for over a year.

#802/1000 Daily Driver SOLD!
1960 Austin Healey Bugeye
click

Posts: 1150 | From: Chico, CA | Member Since: 05/29/04 | IP: (70.136.41.67) | Report this post to a Moderator

broxma
retard monkey strength
379/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 899356 posted 05/16/10 10:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Cars usually die due to lean conditions. Generally this is due to non metered air getting into the system past the MAF seonsr. First things to check are, would you be venting your BOV to atmosphere? Have you pressure tested the intake tract at the turbo inlet? Have you cleaned or tested your ISC motor? Generally checking these three things will locate the cause of the problem. I recently had a voltage issue which was causing my car to die but it was unique to the wiring I had done for the alternator relocation. I do suspect that the open BOV had something to do with it although it was most likely a combination of the two.

One thing to do when you do the intake pressure test is get a spray bottle with a small amount of soap and spray it on places that could leak such as the injector seals, TB area and the mating surface at the intake manifold.

The other reason I can think of a car dying off throttle is severely low compression as was the case with my 1972 Pontiac LeMans.

/brox

I am big into recycling though and if your not into sacrifice or burnt offerings, you may want to stick with 93 octane.

/brox

Posts: 911 | From: San Antonio Tx | Member Since: 11/16/09 | IP: (99.52.72.193) | Report this post to a Moderator

steverussell
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 899360 posted 05/16/10 10:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
The bov is recirulated. I've never cleaned the isc motor or did a pressure test. I guess those things are next on my list.

Edited by steverussell (05/16/10 10:46 PM)

| | | IP: (166.137.140.15) | Report this post to a Moderator

Smitty1457
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 899368 posted 05/16/10 11:23 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
vfaq.com for how to test isc. That little bastard causes issues.

| | | IP: (76.105.249.16) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 640

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.213 seconds in which 0.195 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page