The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BOV pondering found one on a twin screw blower

curtis

I had an HKS ssqv on the car before I became a JSB... before that I had two stock ones and before that a stock crushed one. Since then I've ended up with 3 or 4 HKS ones and sold all of them. I've actually decided I'll either go back to two HKS ones or two of the synchroic ones. They do react faster. My big problem with all out there now is size. Yes there's the tial's but I've had friends that had problems with those even running speed density. They would lift of the seat and location on the tube also effects them. I know the mustang guys run some huge nasty ones and actually I think bigger is better. Even the hks sounded like the air was still crashing back against the wheel like it couldn't vent fast enough. Problem with most of these they were designed when a big turbo was a 16G or the all mighty 20g. The companies I believe never thought there would be people using 1000+cfm turbos on 2 liter motors. I have seen some BOV's that discharge radially where as the body of the unit twists around and open windows for the air to escape but this type couldn't easily be vented back in and I'm a fan of doing this.

But I found a odd ball other day with a blower I picked up. Its a bypass valve from a mazda millenia s. They come with a 1.2 whipple blower that hits at 2.2 bar on the compressor map. The valve is 38mm and hook up would be simple enough just cut two flanges and I'm done. It has a bunch of vacuum ports that could be plugged and I'll have to look again but I think it has a vacuum port on the underside of the diaphragm as well as on top. Need to measure the opening tomorrow with a vacuum pump because I already scheduled it, the intercoolers, plenum etc to run on ebay and end 15 minutes after the blower. Anyway here's a picture just wondered if anyone has ever used one. I personally had never even seen one. I'm thinking spring pressure is up around 15psi or so because you can barely squeeze the valve in off the seat with my thumb.

Also found a guy building a miata with two of these twin screw blowers while doing research. Fit and finish isn't the best in the world and I really don't think JB weld is good for 32 psi but he's getting there. Click me

fivestardsm

Seriously, JB-weld .....
No wonder its been a year since the post was updated. He must have blown it and him self up . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Quoting curtis:
They do react faster. ]

The pull type bovs sure dont have any leak problems but they have always been lazy no matter the tension I have had on them. In that video I posted of the 911 you can hear how late that thing sounded to open and that was after playing with it for days. To move the most air I'd go with 2 slightly crushed stock valves. Thats what my new setup is going to be anyway. I was running 25 psi on stock uncrushed valve with no issues but with more boost and still on a 2g maf, I want 2 crushed ones venting into a single Y tube and recirced back into the intake. We'll see how that works out.

prove_it

I remember reading an old Sport Compact Car issue where they preformed some tests on BOV's and they actually found that the stock 1G diverter valve has the best flow and opening speed over several of the aftermarket BOV's available. This was probably back around 2002 or so when they did this. You can always preform a port mod to force the valve closed under boost and still open up fast when needed. I've heard it's more efficient than crushing the valve.

curtis

Yea I did the same thing years ago and they would bleed off under boost in 5th just cruising. Drove me nuts so i just went to Nashville and picked up an HKS and problem solved. But I didn't do the mod like on the above post. Its like the Post I saw earlier about someone selling a complete stock IC pipe set-up. I always thought it would be cool to try two complete systems just to see how it ran. yes the IC are small stock but on a 14 b would be perfect.

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
I know you like to do things different than everyone else Curtis. But JMF hooked this up for a guy in my area sometime ago.

Thats pretty much what I want to do as well. Thanks for posting that up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned