The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I think I bumped something under the dash or blew a fuse...

Okay so I just did some more work to 435 and now I have an electrical problem... After finishing up I realized my interior lights, clock, power locks, and auto seat belts all quit working! The seatbelts will work when the car is on though. I have checked all the fuses and dont see any of them blown. I took out the center console to change the shifter/shift boot, Wired 2 autometer gauges in (touched stuff around the fuse box area and wired the gauges into the clock fuse but ended up just wiring them in with the ignition wire from the turbo timer long story but had use that wire for the digital gauge to stay calibrated while cranking the car), and installed a turbo timer (so touched stuff around the ignition harness area but installed a adapter harness so no splicing was done). Can anyone think of something I might have bumped or a fuse or relay I might have blown? There might be more stuff not working to haven't investigated that far yet. Someone help!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Hertz

Staff member
Where did you wire these gauges? A pillar? It is a common mistake to short out the auto belt while putting in an a pillar gauge cup.

No I mounted them on the speaker to the left of the cluster. I have no idea whats going on...this is weird has to be something stupid though that is causing al these accessories to quit working /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif This car has yet to be driven. I screwed my new plate on to drive it for the first time registered and it does this crap lol.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Alternator fuse, check you must.

Alternator fuse is good. You are talking about the 100 black fuse on the battery terrminal correct? Plus battery light is not on and it is driving around holding a charge fine.

Olson

lol nice nick name dave lol

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting Damills:
Alternator fuse is good. You are talking about the 100 black fuse on the battery terrminal correct? Plus battery light is not on and it is driving around holding a charge fine.

There is another alternator fuse in the front box. I *believe* it's a yellow, 60 amp unit.

When it is popped, nothing works until the car is running and the system is back fed from the other leg.

I'll check it out but nothing is working when the car is running either except for the seatbelts.

Gimpin

+juan it should be one of the ones that bolts in so don't just try to yank it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah I just checked it and its good. I haven't seen any blown fuses in the front or under the dash. this sux.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Pm sent.

Gimpin

Quoting Damills:
Yeah I just checked it and its good. I haven't seen any blown fuses in the front or under the dash. this sux.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

how do you know it isnt blown? those large fuses don't usually blow across the top like normal fuses ... they typicly blow way down inside

best way to check is to pull them out and test continuity with a volt meter

Got the problem solved. The yellow wire in the stereo harness came loose some how when I removed my center console and was grounding itself on the frame. Thank you toybreaker for taking your time to help me and walk through this on the phone. Now I can finally drive this car...

just for those searching and seeing a similar problem...

Quoting toybreaker:
Alternator fuse, check you must.

Alternator fuse, check you must, fixed my problem it did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned