The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

air blowing out my intake

Alright first off I want to say my motor is bulit it has pistons rods all the above. Today when I started my car it sounded like its misfiring. When I turn off the car i here like air from the turbo making a woozing sound. Can anyone help

I'm going to go check that out right now any other suggestions if thats not the problem

And another thing when the car is on and is idling. I give it gas and the car simply just dies out

1990ggsxnj

Get a logger on it before anything else. Post numbers and do a boost leak test.

I will be doing a boost leak test on it tommorrow. I dont have a data logger so i dont know about that one but i will let you know tommorrow

Hertz

Staff member
You think you have a "built motor" and you don't even have the most simple of dataloggers? You're on your 3rd 4g63, what are you thinking?

I'm sorry, but I am tempted to move this post into Newbies.

Well I'm sorry I am kinda out of a job right now. So i don't have money to be throwing into the car like that. I am trying to figure out what is wrong with it so i can sell it. I dont want to sell a mess up car to someone that is not me. So if you can't help me then thanks for nothing

Muskrat

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you should have a logger. It's one of the first things you buy when you work on these cars. You're on here asking for help to diagnose a problem, but we can't help you if you can't get us the information we need. There are lots of things that could cause the symptoms you're describing.

Last edited:

Ok i have a snap-on computer. I hooked it up to the car and i got four codes.

1-13. Intake Air Temp Circuit Problem
2-14. TPS Signal Out of Range
3-21. Coolant Temp Siganl Out if range
4-25. Baro Pressure Sensor Circuit

Can any of you diagnose over the phone it would be easier my number is (845)746-1183 i would really appreciate it the name is ANDY

1gnasty

check the maf and adjust the tps or put and other one

ok i tried putting in another MAF sensor and i got bad results. It was a evo mas 399 of a 03 evo. I dont know if it was that i wired it up wrong but its simply just throwing that same codes. All four and the motor sounds horrible like if its leaning itself out like crazy. When i turn the car on all I smell is straight gas like if someone is dumping it all over the floor. Its not like i have a leak or n e thing. My exhaust is kinked a lil bit that i have to fix but that couldnt be the problem. Can anyone help me I'm like stuck in midair with this car I'm at the point where i just want to rip everything out and simply just part the dam thing. HELP HELP HELP

crimsondragon

Sounds like it's dumping too much fuel. Check the MAF wiring harness for any shorts. Check the coolant temperature sensor. Check the TPS. You want the TPS voltage to read about .63 V with 0% throttle and around 4.6V WOT.

Also make sure the plug is securely in. Giving gas and having it die sounds like a typical MAS unplugged.

If everything checks out fine, I'd say it's a blown sensor ground on the ECU. Check it.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
The fine folks who are posting in this thread are just trying to help you, and you're not giving them much to work with.

Since you're running a whiz bang scanner instead of a logger, things are a little different, but still workable.

Firstly, boot up the scanner and enter all the data, now, go to the data screen and press "n". That takes you back a page. Highlight "custom data list" and press "y" . Now on that screen, highlight "de-select all" and press "y"

Now, scroll down and highlight and then press "yes" on...

IAT
ECT
TPS
MAS
BARO
o2

An * will appear next to those items.

Press "n"

Select datastream, and press "y"

You should now be looking at a simplified data screen, and it will update quicker with less items selected.

Turn the key to the on position, but don't start the car.

What does the iat and ect read?

With the engine off and cold from sitting overnight, they should both read the same, and within a few degrees of the outside temp.

Next, check your baro, it should be ball park with the outside barometric pressure.

What does the tps read with no throttle?

What does the tps read with the throttle opened all the way?

Fire up the motor and monitor the ect, it should begin to rise fairly quickly, and evenly. After driving a ways, it should be up around 95 to 100*c (190-210*f)

Monitor the mas number, expressd as hertz (hz), as you run the engine thru it's paces.

What's the idle hz?

Whats the highest you see during a pull? (have someone else monitor that while you drive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

What does the o2 read at idle? At cruise? Under load?

While you're just driving around, eyeball the baro. it shouldn't be moving much, if at all unless you're changing altitude. If it's drifting all over the place, that's a valuable "tell".

We got's to have the numbers man, anything else is just guessing.

My magic eight ball says bad ecu caps/bodged mas wiring, with a side of broken wires at the ect down on the t-stat housing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Slow and easy will solve this.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke.gif A little spelling and grammar wouldn't hurt either. This is the tech section after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

chucklesas

Quoting gvr4315:
ok i tried putting in another MAF sensor and i got bad results. It was a evo mas 399 of a 03 evo. I dont know if it was that i wired it up wrong but its simply just throwing that same codes. All four and the motor sounds horrible like if its leaning itself out like crazy. When i turn the car on all I smell is straight gas like if someone is dumping it all over the floor. Its not like i have a leak or n e thing. My exhaust is kinked a lil bit that i have to fix but that couldnt be the problem. Can anyone help me I'm like stuck in midair with this car I'm at the point where i just want to rip everything out and simply just part the dam thing. HELP HELP HELP

What are you doing to compensate for the 2G and Evo MAF sensors? If you don't have a keydiver chip to compensate for them I would return back to a stock GVR4 MAF. I'd say your wiring is also screwed up, but I'm assuming you've actually run the car just fine in it's current configuration.

Quoting gvr4315:
ok i tried putting in another MAF sensor and i got bad results. It was a evo mas 399 of a 03 evo.

Its a PITA having 2 threads on the same subject going on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Your other post says you have a 2G MAS. There is a BIG difference between a 2G and an EVO MAS. Are you aware that the EVO MAS removes ~60% of the airflow signal to the ECU? You can't run it without a chip, or racegas.
As I said in the other thread, your IAT and BARO errors are probably a miswired MAS. The car will run in "limp mode" without fixing those errors.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned