The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter problems.

14bCrazy

Well since day one my car has had a problem with first gear not staying ingauged. Last week end Billy was over and we adjusted everything and put it back together. It was worse that before. So last night I took off the cables and put it in first by hand. It worked fine. Which told me that it is in the cables. So I put it in the first gear position with out the cables hooked up. I found that the cable that pushes and pulls couldn't reach where it needed to be. I looked in and there is no adjuster on that cable. I called Billy and both of his cars have it on both. I did some searching on here and called Josh at JNZ. I found that all the new cables come with out the adjuster. My question now is what do I do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I looked at the shifter and it looks like I could grind off the metal stopper to get it right.
Any advice would be great.

SleepinGVR4

Are they in backwards? Meaning is the cable that has the adjustment on the right or left side? I believe mine are in backwards but it doesn't have problems staying in gear.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Kenny, is it possible somebody did some mixing/matching in the shifter assembly? There's probably a couple of combinations that won't work.

There can also be some of the same issues on the tranny linkage, if it's a swapped tranny. I think t/e/l units had two different length arms, and they would require the matching shifter linkage.

Pulling the linkage on the tranny thru by hand will show the range required there, and then you can swing the shifter thru it's range while watching the cables move, and see if they're close.

Just a thought to get the discussion going. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

edit I've also seen issues with the little tab for the shifter cable bracket that bolts to the tranny. The little rubber bushings wear out, and then it flops around enough to keep things from getting their full range.

14bCrazy

Who's Kenny? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif We replaced the bushing's on the bracket with metal ones. I just talked to Billy and he is going to fab up my shifter to get me more.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Ooops, my bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I shall just call you "mook", howz that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

jepherz

Staff member
I wouldn't grind any stoppers off of the shifter base. You may run in to broken shift fork problems if you do that.

14bCrazy

Update. I found that it does adjust. You just turn it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I gave the shifter to Billy to cut and reweld shorter for me. I'll let you know if it works when I put it back together.

14bCrazy

got it back together today. It shifts like a dream and stays in first. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

1990ggsxnj

Nice, so what exactly was welded? Any pics? I havn't heard of anyone having to weld anything to get the shift right. Curious, may be a good mod.

14bCrazy

No the cutting and welding was to make the shifter arm shorter. What I did find out was that the cable with out and adjuster still can be adjusted by twisting it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned