The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter cable differences and problems...

SleepinGVR4

Awhile back I ordered new shifter cables for my car. When I went to install them I noticed that my new shifter cables I ordered only had an adjustment for one of the cables. Unlike the shifter cables that were in my car originally that had adjustment for both cables.

I figured it didn't matter so installed them and have had shifter problems this entire time. Anyone else run into this problem? I drove around for a couple of hours the one day trying to get it right, I would get one gear better and the rest would get worse.

I'm half tempted to put the old ones back in. Even though its a huge pain in the ass with the dash in.

Anyone else have this problem?

Yup, the 1g and GVR4 are different.

My new GVR4 cables only had one adjustment as well. That's because the PO installed a 1g shifter setup.

FWIW: I used the GVR4 cables, with a GVR4 Trans, and a 1G shifter assembly without issues.

91GSR

just recently i had a shifter cable slip off the bushing. i have it basically "tied" to the linkage right now with an extra hood latch cable i had lying around. its ghetto as hell...WHERE DID U GET SHIFTER CABLES FROM I CANT FIND THEM ANYWHERE

91GSR

ive checked jnz. and unless the search function on that site is a wacky as on here then i couldnt find them

1990ggsxnj

Checked here as well and the site is slow as hell. Couldn't find the shifter cables in the menu or search.

Maybe need to call??

Yeah, that's what I did.

There are so many OEM parts, and they are busy all the time. There's only two guys there most of the time so updating is probably hard to do for them.

Not a problem though, If you leave a message, they get back to you quick!

Struc

OEM part number: MB659306

iLLeffeKt vr-4

EDIT*deleted*

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I just changed the shifter cables on 1759 last month. Out of the blue I lost 1st, 3rd, 5th and reverse felt funny almost like putting into 4th. I have a 90 dsm transmission with the 91 brackets and only one of the cables that were in there was adjustable. I adjusted it and still couldn't get 1st, 3rd, 5th. Got on the Extremepsi.com website and ordered a new set for $127.00 Part MB659866 (OEM Gear Shift Cable: Mitsubishi Eclipse 06/90-5/93 #21134).
I've put on about 300 miles and it shifts like just fine.

mitsuturbo

So, has anyone put 1g cables in their VR4 with success? I fear i'm going to put my 92 dsm shifter cables in, and have them not work well.

If you order new shifter cables for the vr4 it will only have one adjustment at the shifter for only 1 cable. its a updated version.
I had the same question when I installed mine. No problems after installing.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting mitsuturbo:
So, has anyone put 1g cables in their VR4 with success? I fear i'm going to put my 92 dsm shifter cables in, and have them not work well.

Yes, I have. Read the post.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting chris:
If you order new shifter cables for the vr4 it will only have one adjustment at the shifter for only 1 cable. its a updated version.
I had the same question when I installed mine. No problems after installing.

I can't get mine to adjust correctly.

My car has a rebuilt Jnz tranny, and a 1st gen shifter. Damn thing is pissing me off.

Last edited:

part # MB659306 ... I believe and I could be wrong, ill look but I think the adjustment is on the side to side. check that.

thats what im sayin homie, make sure the adjustment is on the side to side and not front/back. you could have it backwards...
or the gromet in the firewall is backwards.

mitsuturbo

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
Quoting mitsuturbo:

Yes, I have. Read the post.

Oh DUH! for some reason i read that you installed cables and THEN Lost gears. Reading comprehension > mitsuturbo.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned