The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g head on 6 bolt block

donniekak

Run a 1/2" drill down the bolt holes and it will work fine. You will also need a 2g intake manifold. The hyuandi manifolds work also. I ran a 2g head with a hyuandi manifold with my hx40 for a while. The off boost response and spoolup were awesome.

2of9

It can be done. correct me if im wrong but the 2g intake ports are smaller than the 1g intake ports. A friend has done it but i dont see the point unless you already have a 7 bolt engine to start with...that or yeah.

Kenny_Kline

Easy head swap. Need to enlarge head stud holes +1mm. Everything else is the same. I did this swap and used a 2G intake manifold. Much better power band over the 1G head

4wheelsqueal

+1 on that. i have been running this combo on my 97 gsx for 6+ years now and love it.

I run a 2g head on my 2.4 As stated above, just gotta drill out the stud holes.

donniekak

Funny thing is i'm not sure. I have one that i found on the ground walking through a pick a part. It has 2g ports and a 60 mm i g throttlebody opening. I loved it on a 2g head. I think it was from a g4cs.

spoulson

Exhaust manifold can be the same. I believe the ports are the same size.

mountaineerjeff

see, i was thinking the same thing. the 2g gives better velocity, and has a straighter shot to the valves. This should leave to more response i would believe, and the evo3 head has an even more updated design. So I was thinking of using a evo3 on my new build but everyone tries to talk me out of it cause the 1g is proven. just cause it works doesnt mean its the best way

G

Staff member
Last time i checked the evo3 head was the same part # as a 2g. Not sure about the intake manifold though.

mountaineerjeff

i know the IM is a substantial upgrade, but someone told me the evo3 head was updated, but it wasnt a particularly reliable source so im not positive, but it does make sense

CutlassJim

Quoting G:
i know the IM is a substantial upgrade, but someone told me the evo3 head was updated, but it wasnt a particularly reliable source so im not positive, but it does make sense

Actually it doesn't make sense. EVO III came out in 95' 2G came out in 95'. I've seen both heads and they look exactly the same.

mountaineerjeff

what doesnt make sense? the EVO is a performance edition, that is massively upgraded. the big evo3 16g is a perfect example. The pistons look alike and were made at the same time too, but that doesnt make them the same. Im just saying i read that the evo3 flowed better, and I think identical part numbers would be the only thing that would prove theyre the same.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned