The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1g head or 2g head

speedyvr4

I am currently running a 2g head with a 1g intake manifold. The intake side of the head is port matched to the 1g intake. there's a step in the head if you try to use the 1g IM on a 2g head. I didn't like it, so i port matched. while i don't have any numbers to prove it. On the butt dyno, the car did feel like it had better mid range although my small 16g runs out of steam up top so after 6300rpm can't really help you guys there.

uncleben4rice

Talked with my tuners over at FFTEC and the most bang for the buck is with the mildly built 2g head with the evo3 manifold. They have tested many different combos. It works better then any aftermarket intake on the 2g head. I dont know all the particulars of the set up. I do know the car is very fast and reliable. I was at the track and the car went 10.01 and he drove it over 200 miles that day to and from the track. That is enough for me to say the 2g head and the evo3 manifold are next for me. I am glad I did not go out and buy a $1000 sheet metal manifold. Now to sell my built 1g head and get a 2g and evo3 intake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I know this about the car in addition to the built 2g head and evo3 intake mani,it has a built bottom end, kelford 272 cams, gt35, on race gas. Call Dave at FFTEC he will gladly talk to you about the tech, flow, mumbo jumbo.

raptorWagon

Quoting cheekychimp:

North America: DOHC
4g61 1.6L with "16" Head casting 43 cc combustion chamber small ports
4g61 1.6L T with "16" Head casting 43 cc combustion chamber 8.0:1 CR small ports
4g67 1.8L with "18" Head casting featuring 43 cc combustion chamber big ports
4g63 2.0L with "20" Head casting featuring 47 cc combustion chamber big ports
4g63 2.0L T with "20" Head casting featuring 47 cc combustion chamber big ports 1st Gen
4g63 2.0L T with "20" Head casting featuring 47 cc combustion chamber medium ports? 2nd Gen
4g64 2.4L with "18"("20"?) Head casting featuring 43 cc combustion chamber big ports

Wicked old post, but just adding the correction to this information, that the DOHC 4g64 as found in the 94 Galant GS, is not a Big port. It's a small port head identical to a 2g DSM 4g63 head. I picked one up last year, only to find out it was small port head and when looking in ASA it's the same part # as the 2nd gen DSMs.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
I'll update the original posting on the other org.

Its good to find any errors in my old posting, or anything current. Sometimes you get a little cross eyed from all the numbers you are trying to post about.

Good catch and the ASA facts to back it up too!

To confirm, what do you think the combustion chamber CC comes in at? Were 2G heads using similar 43 or 47 CC sizings? I know nothing of them.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned