The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Old Ford wheel bearings.

Spyder

I had the kingpins replaced on my work van about two months ago. New Kingpins, bushings and end links. They reused the wheel bearings.

This is on a 91 Ford E-250. 2WD

I then took the van to another mechanic I use because there had been a bad vibration in the driveline. They called and told me that the whole front end was loose and needed to be rebuilt again.
I had it towed to the original mechanic that did the work. He said everything was tight according to Ford spec.

Today I jacked up the front end and there is a little play in the front wheels. If you grab the top of the tire and push in and pull out, you can feel the wheel rock back and forth. But not if you do the same movement grabbing the tire from the front. The amount of play is the same for both sides on the front.

Is this normal?

EHmotorsports

Shouldn't have any play top to bottom. Get it on stands and check to see if its the wheel bearings or the kingpins moving.
Might require help from a friend to ether move the wheel or look under the van.

Last edited:

galant651

probably wheel bearings, i work for ford and ive seen alot of them come in when other shops have done rotors or ball joints and the bearings arent preloaded correctly so when you drive it they loosen up and are too loose.

galant651

if its loose. the nut should be tightened while the wheel is spinning to center everything and get even preload. slowly get it tight so you can spin it but it drags. then loosen and lightly retighten. check for wheel spin and drag. the nut should be tight but the wheel should spin fairly easy. you should know pretty easily if the nut is to loose.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned