The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

can i start the car without my X-case connected?

Brunoboy

Im looking to see if my axle seal is leaking and where else my trans can be leaking from. I removed the Transfercase and left the Driveshaft propped up with a coat hanger. Is it ok to start the car without a Transfer case? Im not driving it anywhere or moving it at all.I just want to find the leak.
-Shane

Barnes

It's fine. Just dont' put it in gear.

grocery_getter

If its just the axle seal that is leaking, why do you need to start the car?

The ring around the front diff acts as the oil pump inside the transmission, moving oil up from the bottom where it rest. To move the front diff you'd have to put the car in gear. Otherwise with the engine running, you are only spinning the input shaft and nothing else. Plus that input shaft bearing will be spinning without the needed lubrication.

Last edited:

Brunoboy

im pretty sure its the axle seal, but for some reason, I get fluid up the cross member and some fluid on the slave cylinder and dust boot. I pulled the boot and its dry inside and i pulled the flywheel inspection plate and its dry as well,so I assume my rear main seal is still good considering I replaced it under 5k ago. I cant see a leak from the seal but it looks as if theres a small spot on the outer part of the seal thats wet about --- long. I just wanted to make sure its that and not the axle being loose.
-Shane

grocery_getter

So its leaking oil toward the front of the car or the rear of the car? If its the front, try to see if oil is coming out from the shifter assembly, there is a seal that seals around the shifter assembly to the case. By position, its right above the slave.

Brunoboy

im sure, my trans is getting harder to shift. What seal is on the shifter assembly? Ive never heard of it before, and is it easy to replace? I think its the back because my Xcase is wet, the cross member in the toward the back is soaked and the bottom of the trans is dripping.
-Shane

Terry Posten

You can drop the t-case and put the car on stands so the front wheels are hanging freely. Then just ease it into 1st and let everything free spin.

As long as there is no real load and you keep the revs low, you should be OK.

Just be very careful and support the car well and watch for spinning tires, shafts, and pullies/belts.

Good luck.

Brunoboy

Thanks, I have it up on stands already. I'm still wondering about the seal that's at the shifter assembly.

Terry Posten

That seal is really easy to inspect. Clean the tranny with something like brake cleaner and dry it. Take it for a drive and look to see if you see there is a wetness around the shifter.

That will also work for any other seal.

Brunoboy

Anyone have a pic of the seal in question? I had this trans out hella times and I'm really hoping its not that seal.

pauleyman

Quote:
Plus that input shaft bearing will be spinning without the needed lubrication

The input shaft is always lubricated. Neutral, in gear doesn't matter. What do you think is happening when you're at a stoplight in neutral? Input to the tranny is spinning. Nothing else is moving.

If you have the car in the air you won't hurt anything. There isn't enough load. Still you shouldn't need to start it. If you suspect an axle seal then replace it. 30 min job.

Wizardawd

Mine was doing the same thing, it was the transmission/transfer case output shaft seal that was leaking for me. And since that seal shares some of the bellhousing with the cluth, it could be yours too. Axle seal leak would straight up leak to the ground.

And I doubt the shifter seal is your main leak...seapage maybe, but not enough even gets up there to be a concern until rebuild time.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned