The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starting issue after motor swap/build.

talontyme

So yesterday I was wiring up my turbo timer and apon testing it found that it was not working(2g jumper harness instead of 1g) while trying to figure that problem I also noticed that the car didnt turn over(im not ready to run the car but noticed it didnt crank). I traced the problem to the starter solenoid wire not receiving 12v upon crank. when I try to crank the car I can hear the starter relay clicking but no crank. Please help.

broxma

At the fuse panel under the hood, just after the main bundle of wires comes out there is a three pin connector which should have two colored wires and a larger black wire. Unplug it. Put the key in the ignition, out of gear, and turn it into the "On" position. Take the side of that connector not attached to the fuse wire bundle and run a 12v wire to the bottom pin. This should turn over the car. It bypasses the starter relay and instantly trips the starter. If this does not work, new starter.

/brox

talontyme

I did something to that effect(used my logic probe to send 12v to the solenoid) and the starter
Turned over.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Some good info in this thread that may help you find the issue.

talontyme

Quoting trunks:
One time I forgot to put the nut back on the solenoid connector..

Nuts there.

talontyme

Quoting toybreaker:
Some good info in this thread that may help you find the issue.

Thanks Toybreaker for the link lots of great info here,and more importantly a couple things to try. I will get back to you all after I check the clutch switch,but let my throw this out there also

The original problem was that the timer wouldn't power up like i had said accidentally used a 2g jumper instead or a 1g. I noticed that the difference between the two was one wire(on the 2g harness the wire in question was the starter wire/on the 1g harness that same wire was ign2-for the timer to work that wire needed to see ign and was getting nothing till crank)could this inturn have damaged the starter relay? I can hear it clicking when the key go's to start but again no cranking.

Also I turned the key to on and tested the solenoid wire before and after the connector and no power at either so the problem imo I think is inside the car(relay or clutch switch)

Is there any truth to the radio thing(if the stocker is gone no start?),and what is the likely hood that not having the relay under the factory security horn would cause the problem. One last thing why does the factory boost gauge has three lights on?

talontyme

*UPDATE*
So after trying a list of suggestions I found the problem(Im embaressed at the oversite)
As I was looking at the clutch switch to unplug it I figured I would look to see if it was adjusted
Correctly and noticed that with the clutch pedal depressed it was not contacting the switch
So I looked at the pedal to see that the rubber stop was gone lol funny right.
After unplugging the switch I turned the key and whala it cranked one more problem down yes, ill call jnz on monday thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

talontyme

W/o the switch you can't use 2step or no lift to shift with link

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned