The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

starter or not the starter!!!!

adamvr4

ok, heres the situation im having. when i start the car sometimes it cranks right up no problem and sometimes it wont crank at all. I'll turn the key 3 or 4 times before it will crank over and start. Last weekend i was driving and because i have 272 cams and my car idles up and down my car accidently died and it wouldnt start. I pushed it off to the side and sat there for an hour trying to start it but it wouldn't crank. I left for about an hour came back and tried it again, it took about 10 minutes but i got it to crank and start. I got it home took the starter out with the harness and to my surprise the nut that hold the wire from the solenoid to the starter was loose so figured that was the problem with the starting. since i i had the starter and the harness out i replaced the starter power wire tightened the solinoid nut and put everything back in. It started beautifully. It was starting fine all day and all of a sudden it started doing the same thing. Every once an awhile it would take a few turns of the key before it would start. Help!!!!! should i check the starter. somebody mentioned the ignitor? Any suggestions on what that could be?

belize1334

You can try hotwiring the starter solenoid (with the car in neutral) and see if it has the same intermittent hesitation. You might also check the clutch switch which can wear out and prohibit proper starting.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned