The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WOW - 4G64 cyro/MicroBlue polished crank

slugsgomoo

I think andre puts new ones on when he builds new motors.

You're deluding yourself if you think that the load is anywhere near the same even at stock tolerance, on a high compression 2.3 revving to 8500 or a moderate compression 2L spinning 10k.

there's a reason thicker oil is produced, and it has to do with saving your very expensive parts when you put extreme loads on them.

a 600hp 2L is making 300% more horsepower than factory and spinning at 145% of the factory rated RPM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Actually only 200% :)

In response to the 5w comments above, I think a lot of the newer cars these days suggest to run it year around, for less gas consumption. I wonder how they build the internals of the motor differently to run on this?

Terry Posten

My 2.3 has a new chip from Keydiver with the rev limit set at 7200 and the shift light at 6500.

I don't abuse my motor/trans.

And I also don't have any intentions to do so in the future.

The oil pump failure that Andre speaks of is well documented on higher horsepower motors. They have been seen on new and used pumps as well. For that matter they have even been seen on not that high hp motors.

If you have not pulled your "new" pump apart to confirm the edges of the gear is properly debured you may be asking for trouble. After seeing this happen to a perfectly good motor causing it to lose a crank, I will not put one together without pulling the pump apart to confirm it is not going to eat the front case.

Your results may vary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
I think andre puts new ones on when he builds new motors.

You're deluding yourself if you think that the load is anywhere near the same even at stock tolerance, on a high compression 2.3 revving to 8500 or a moderate compression 2L spinning 10k.

there's a reason thicker oil is produced, and it has to do with saving your very expensive parts when you put extreme loads on them.

a 600hp 2L is making 300% more horsepower than factory and spinning at 145% of the factory rated RPM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I agree RPM is the factor here, but not HP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hahhah, thicker oil for extreme loads..... that's a pretty ignorant statement to be making /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry, but atm I can't be bothered explaining to someone with 1000+ post count what they should know about Oil and its results... if you can be bothered to decipher my quote "Oil temp doesn't see above 125 deg Celsius", then you'll learn something new for the week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sounds more like a QC issue with the Oil pump gears being overlooked at Factory rather then any "tolerances - which require a carefully selected Oil viscosity"....... but Andre did say 'Shaft' not the gears themselves....

I kind of think of this like what came first the chicken or the egg. I always thought these failures came from the gear touching down on the front case first and then the shavings drop onto the shaft and proceede to hog out the front case bore.

Andre has however built far more of these than I have, I'm sure he has looked at a bigger cross section of failures than I have.

Sorry for taking this so far off topic, I suppose we should open another thread if we need to further hash this out.

Terry congrats on getting your motor back together, I am sure you will enjoy it!

Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned