The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wheel Bearing Walkthrough

Seems like a lot of extra work...but obviously you would not have suggested it if it were. I'm sure it will make more sense when I see it for myself. I suppose that option also is good insurance against other stuff being broken if it's not ONLY the bearings (which are definitely shot on the one wheel, if not other stuff...not sure).

If you'll be available Saturday, PM me directions to wherever the parts are located and let me know if it won't fit in the trunk of an '87 Crown Vic (cuz that's what I'll be driving). Pick whatever time is most convenient for you...I'm in the neighborhood mostly for Sunday activities w/ the family, so my Saturday is wide open. If that doesn't work, I am not exactly sure what time stuff is going on for Sunday, but if getting those parts is not time consuming, I could probably do it early (I'd need to be in back Westminster by 11 or so...gotta check w/ the family).

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Tim, if it's just a noisy bearing, it's probably easier to just swap out the bearing.

If it's been making nasty noises, it's noticeabbly loose, or the rotor is scraping the rear brake caliper carrier, that's a whole different ballgame.

The hub, abs sensors/reluctor wheel, and possibly even the arm itself may be damaged.

New bearings may not have the correct interference fit on damaged pieces, and then you'll be out the cost of parts you can't use.

Since you need the thing back on the road, just grab my stuff, chuck it on the car, get it aligned enough to run it, and then fix your stuff up with new bearings at your liesure.

At the very least, have it on hand when you are ready to do your original arm, and you're covered either way.

As far as pulling the whole suspension, arms and all, off that corner, I just think it'd be easier than screwing around with removing all the ball joint ends and what not. You're going to have to have it aligned whether you just replace the rear trailing arm, or the whole shitaree, so might as well make it easy on yourself. It's your call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Just bring elleventeen cases of beer, and get busy wrenchin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quoting Asbestos:
let me know if it won't fit in the trunk of an '87 Crown Vic (cuz that's what I'll be driving).

Quoting from sig:
'87 LTD Crown Victoria -- Halfway sold

Which half you drivin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
On a side note... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

James, you ever get yours done? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

It was noisy, now it's getting nasty, so I think you are right about swapping "the whole shitaree" being the best option so the rest can be examined w/o unnecessary tomfoolery impeding getting another of our beloved back on the road.

As for what all is damaged, I guess it'd be hard to say without you personally examining all of it, but like I said, my roommate did the bearing wiggle and that is shot, if not other stuff. Anyways, it's my fault for sitting on my ass instead of checking into it before it got real nasty. Quoting toybreaker:
Just bring elleventeen cases of beer, and get busy wrenchin

I guess I got next weekend planned, in that case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Quoting toybreaker:
Which half you drivin? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The non-antimatter half. Even though the LHC didn't blow up the Earth today, I suppose that the other "half" is a good thing to keep separate from the matter half. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Should I just give you a call on Saturday, then?

Also, I suppose the first thing I'll do is pull the wheel back off the front, undo the cotter pin, and check the torque on the tie rod end...it steered ok on my brief test run, but I'll undo it a little and then use the torque wrench set to 21 lbs (a nice happy medium in the range you suggested). Do it right or don't do it at all, yeah?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned