The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

what is the proper way to do a boost leak test on a galant vr4

kooter

So I had an earlier post about turbo not spooling correctly.
I have this tester and am ready to use it.
if I am understanding this correctly that I disconnect the inlet side of the turbo strap this on
here is my question.
don't I need to plug the end that is no longer connected to the turbo ?

Last edited:

ktmrider

click

Look under the Intake section at the bottom ( Leak Tester ).

VFAQ should be read and re-read, it's the ABC's for our generation vehicles.

kooter

no just a hyundai part I work at a dealership in parts

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Make sure you regulate the air pressure being applied. Don't allow full compressor shop air to pressurize those poor tiny oil seals in the intake system. Regulate down to 20 PSI and you will be fine.

kooter

So just finished
put leak tester on turbo inlet and started with going up to 5 psi needle on the guage went quickly to 5 and dropped steadily back down I would say around one psi a second maybe a little faster but it went up and went down.

definately heard some hissing but it was very faint. spray bottle filled with soapy water sprayed around while.
kept the guage right around the 5 mark, tring to locate the leak. more spraying moved up to between 8 and ten on the guage and found the tiniest of little bubble

right at the top of this tube.

sorry I didn't have my camera to take pictures at the time.

So my question here and the reason for this boost test was that at around 4500 rpm the cars starts to stutter pretty bad. I was told it was a turbo leak. from what I have read and what I can tell the system is holding pressure.

other then that the car runs fine.
any new suggestions?

kooter

plugs and wires have less then 2000 miles. They were done right before I bought the car. I have a new set of plugs and wires from mitsu that I will put on in about two weeks. so we shall see how that goes.currently I only drive the car about 20 miles every other week. trying to do all the repairs before I make it my daily driver.

Dan D

Worn out tps can also cause a hesitation similar to faulty wires. If you have a logger, check and make sure the throttle position is linear and smooth through the range.

1990ggsxnj

I was going to say that as well but he states it happens when it is WOT at a specific RPM and goes away if he increases throttle slowly. Sounds like that might rule it out (never completely until it's resolved though).

yeti

+1 on tps sensor mines bad and is causing studdering at higher rpms..
And if you keep your foot on it slowly its somtimes doesent studder..

dsmtalontsi95

It looks like you have the breather tube circle. Is the one leaking the large one coming from the valve cover or was it one of the ones on the throtle body? Did you follow the instructions on VFAQ (talking about turning the motor by hand)?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned