The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is the best 272 cam out there?

citymunky

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
You guys all do what you want. I was just adding a data point. G decided to call me out, so I responded. Whatevs. My tenure here and the numbers my car has put down over the past 17 years speaks for itself.

+1

Illinoisinc

Hey guys I really didn't mean to start an argument or anything. Just wanted to know what you guys have been doing since I am all new to pistons.

Overall ALL of you have been more than helpful. We should set up a meet soon ( I am near Chicago )

prove_it

Running stock springs works. Upgrading springs while the head is apart is mostly done as a preventive measure and cheap insurance. Stock springs wear out and lose tension. Many reputable machinists that work on the 4G63 will strongly suggest upgraded springs when building a head for that reason.

Can't think of his name right now, but there was a machinist that started a thread showing all the spring rates and fact to support the claim that it's best to upgrade springs if the head is apart.

Again, not mandatory, but cheap insurance. Yes, Mark's real world experience should be noted, but I've seen people bend valves from overreving. It's not a rule that it's optional, but insurance. It is a risk and up to the builder.

As for pistons, I'm using Wiseco and they have taken a beating, but they are noisy. I don't like them for that reason. I got a couple buddies pushing JE and Mahle pistons to past the 600whp mark with good results.

G

Staff member
What he said ^^. I never said it couldn't be done, just that I wouldn't recommend redlining on stock springs. My first dsm was a 92' gsx I bought slightly used in 95'. I had 272's in that 4g63 as well as many other dsm's since then and have never personally had an issue with valve float but have seen a few friends have issues. Back then the springs were pretty new with low miles. But in 2015 running original 23 year old springs is not for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Quoting prove_it:

Can't think of his name right now, but there was a machinist that started a thread showing all the spring rates and fact to support the claim that it's best to upgrade springs if the head is apart.

You clearly didn't look at any of the links I posted.

prove_it

Nope, haven't in a while.

GSTwithPSI

You mad, Ryan? Oh, I forgot, you're one of those "everyone gets a trophy" kind of guys. I'll try and be nicer for now on, just for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GSTwithPSI

I'm just giving Ryan a hard time.

The machinist thread he was referring to was linked in my post a while back (3 of them actually). They outline everything he referenced in his post.

slugsgomoo

i sold a motor to a friend years ago with 264/272 HKS's, and it had crower springs with Ti retainers. He did a 3->2 shift accidentally at ~9k and DSMLink only reads to 12,500... where it flatlined for over 1sec. Chucked rockers through the valve covers, etc. Got towed home, pulled the vc off and everything looked fine. replaced rockers, new timing belt & tensioner, new vc gasket, and did compression & leakdown tests and the motor was solid.

You may say "upgraded valvetrain" and yes, you're right, but that's way, way more abuse than going to 7500 on stock springs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif These things are pretty damn stout.

turbowop

Of all the people that I've known over the years that have played with these engines, I know not a single person that has bent a valve or had some other issue due to using 272's on stock springs. I must be CRAY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

EfiniX

Quoting EHmotorsports:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Seriously

prove_it

Quoting turbowop:
Of all the people that I've known over the years that have played with these engines, I know not a single person that has bent a valve or had some other issue due to using 272's on stock springs. I must be CRAY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I have. Again, it was an overrev from a bad shift. Valves floated and took out all 16 valves plus ruined the pistons.

Mark, you are right that it does work, but I'm merely trying to state the fact that it can be done, but if your building the head it's foolish not to invest $200 bucks to prevent an issue. Just because YOU haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Your the one person I've known that has gotten away with stock parts successfully where countless others fail. Your quite special somehow.

And yes, yes you are CRAY. We all know that.

Brett, I know your just giving poo. I'm surprised my mom hasn't been mentioned yet.

donniekak

With a brand new Oem head I couldn't run more than about 32 psi with my fp red. At that level I would float exhaust valves from the back pressure reducing the effective seat pressure of the springs. With some new bc springs I could hit 40 psi with no float.

donniekak

What do you mean? The only thing I changed was the springs, I didn't even take the head off the car.

The exhaust setup was a bep cast manifold with an external 38mm gate, tubular o2, and full straight through 3" exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned