The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What is the best 272 cam out there?

prove_it

Quoting swe_gvr4_1991:
Don't know if this is gonna contribute much, but you can run HKS 272's on stock valve train. I have ran mine for years. Rev to 8500 max on mine.

Already did G. Not that the swede doesn't know what he's doing, but it can work, CAN. Chances of failure are much higher though. Bad odds.

Illinoisinc

No I would build the sh*t out of the head lol.

Also my question. How are you guys tunning your cars? Do you buy a ECU ( haltech, microtech etc) piggy back system , can you chip the ecu's like Hondas.

prove_it

There are several options for that. The most common and user friendly is to run ECUlink. It's a chip that allows a semi stand alone function.

There's evo ecu swaps with flashable programming.

There's, the aem, haltech, motec options too.

Lot's of info out there, depends on your budget and goals. Link works awesome up to 600whp no issues. Some guys will push 1k on the system. It lacks the output controls and input of various none oem sensors, but for 600 bucks it's much easier and simpler.

Illinoisinc

Marvin,

I am literally reading this stuff. So I would choose the first one? ECMLink V3 Package (DSM) ??

just want to make sure since this is the correct one. this one seems pretty bad ass...

DSMlink, and for cams I know someone said they ran them with out an upgrade valve train, but you increase the chance of your valves floating, broken springs or a valve meeting a piston.

marvinmadman

Correct

Quoting Illinoisinc:
Marvin,

I am literally reading this stuff. So I would choose the first one? ECMLink V3 Package (DSM) ??

just want to make sure since this is the correct one. this one seems pretty bad ass...

turbowop

I've put a lot of miles and trips to redline on my stock valvetrain with HKS272s. Probably 30k miles and a stack of timeslips like a wad of one dollar bills ready for the strip club. Since '03. That includes two accidental 3-2 shifts that took it over 10k RPM. Still running strong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
What did I tell you ^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

"Yeah I wouldn't recommending redlining these cams with original springs. I'm sure someone will pipe up and say they do it all the time with no issues in 3..2..1."

89Patches

Ya but all those people who say the do it all the time actually have experience doing so, like Mr. 1051 and many others. I have never seen a failure of stock valve springs with HKS 272's, They're really not that aggressive of a cam at all...

turbowop

Just adding my experience after having owned/installed/raced the cams for 12 years now.

Real world experience > Theory

Other than peddle small JDM parts and complain about rust and panel lines, G really has nothing to add to this forum. Especially regarding performance. You gonna take the recommendation from the guy that only posts about installing parts or regurgitates theory, or from a guy that posts actual numbers from the parts he's installed from the past decade+.

BENE38A

Can't argue with that. My suggestion is to test your valve springs and if they are consistent at the 60 pound mark and you want to use the hks cams then use those springs, if not or if aftermarket springs are in the budget buy some new ones.
Here is a write up from a machinist around here that i'm sure most have read click

G

Staff member
Like I said in a few other threads, wopper to post the opposite of what anyone else's "theory, experience or even fact" is in 3..2..1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
Op if you are interested in years, how about my 19 using 272's vs. woppers 12.

turbowop

You've had HKS 272's in a 4g63t since '96? With an upgraded valvetrain? Please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roll.gif From the guy that has never posted a single track or dyno number ever since being on this forum. Even if true, that doesn't prove that it isn't highly possible to use them on the stock valvetrain like I have. Go back to hanging from Denso's nuts and leave the actual performance stuff to the real members of this forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

slugsgomoo

What car have you used then on then? The few times you've posted a car of yours, it's been vastly less modded than my wife's old 1g daily driver...

You've never posted more than jdm > * crap, and a few useful jdm part numbers, besides slinging parts.

I do love how often you argue your theories and opinions versus people who have been there, done that.

I've had 264/272, and 272/272 hks now... And this thread is lulz. They work well with stock valvetrain because their ramp rate isn't nearly as aggressive as GSC, FP or JUN.

GSTwithPSI

Well I'll be damned, a pissing contest going on that wasn't started by me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

I've run HKS 272s on both stock and aftermarket springs. I had no issues with either. I've banged a few 3-2 shifts on stock springs myself, and came out unscathed. It's widely known the HKS 272 is a "drop in" cam, which is a large reason many people run them. That being said, it's also widely known the stock DSM valve springs are notorious for losing tension over time. Running the stock valve springs, you're just as likely to bend valves at high RPM on stock cams than you are on HKS 272s, IMO. If you want the extra security, upgrade. Otherwise, there are plenty of people getting along just fine on stock springs.

Good info on valve springs:
click
click
click

Olson

Brett do we need to start pissing all over this ?

Ill throw my thought in on this.
Ran BC280's (crappy cams i know) on stock springs for a few years and a few times at thunderhill no problems

turbowop

You guys all do what you want. I was just adding a data point. G decided to call me out, so I responded. Whatevs. My tenure here and the numbers my car has put down over the past 17 years speaks for itself.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Nobody's actually pissing on anything. I was just making a sarcastic remark since I'm seemingly the one always stirring the pot around here. I've had HKS 272s in 2 of the 3 VR-4s I've owned (and currently have them in 1837), so that's why I chimed in. There's enough information in the 3 links I provided for the OP, or anyone who reads this thread to make an educated decision on valve springs, even if everything else that has been posted here is completely ignored.

I'm all for theory until it can be proven otherwise. The way you disprove theory it is with real world data, not by talking about rainbows and unicorns while we sit around and give each other hand jobs...Although that's what some would prefer this forum to be like. I agree with Mark; since over a decade of tangible evidence backs up his claim. If he was talking out of his ass (like I've seen a lot of people doing lately), I'd have no problem stating my reasons for disagreeing with him. Call that a pissing war, or whatever you'd like.

Last edited:

Olson

DAmn dude just having fun lol

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned