The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird clutch failure *Update with Carnage Pictures*

TakumiJr

^ And I don't think its even worth calling ACT to complain.

kaptainballistik

I would say its from the Dyno run, Ive seen Rotary cluches that have twisted, Belled and Elongated the holes so the centre comes loose.

Once the Rivet holes have torn up, Its just a matter of time. The Dyno has no friends.

fivestardsm

Quoting TakumiJr:

I have heard of and seen worse that they have replaced. But you never know unless you try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Dialcaliper

Looking at those pictures, If you don't find anything else wrong, My guess is that your input shaft might have been misaligned when transmission was reinstalled, or else something wasn't torqued on properly

The rivets that hold the hub to the disc are plenty strong in shear (the rotation direction), but with a bit of misalignment, you start introducing tension loads in the rivets as the disc spins off-axis, which they aren't really designed for. The tension loads eventually caused either the rivets to stretch, or the hub around the rivets to warp.

At that point, the rivets start taking engine torque directly instead of the hub being clamped in place by friction, and the holes in the disc became elongated, making the problem worse. The more the rivets are allowed to tilt, the more load that gets applied to them.

One characteristic of ductile materials like steel is that after they start yielding (permanent stretching, not the kind of "elastic" stretch that you get in a guitar string or rubber band), they become stronger, requiring even more force to stretch them further. (This is how torque-to-yield bolts work). Eventually, the rivets get stretched to the breaking point and shear off one at a time. If that's the way it happened, it might make sense that it didn't fail immediately.

That's my theory anyway. I'm guessing pin stretch, has been a problem for ACT - if you look on the new website, all of their solid clutch discs now have 16 rivets instead of 8, and the hub size has been increased.

The good news is that if you call and complain about a hub failure, and specifically mention that your disc only had 8 rivets instead of 16 like the new ones, they might replace it for you. Just be careful to align the transmission properly when you reinstall it, and make sure that the input shaft isn't warped or something.

Last edited:

TakumiJr

^ Thanks for the input, sounds about right. Everything got put back together yesterday, so far so goood

Quoting TakumiJr:

I guess there are two approaches when a problem arises with a manufacturers product, post it on here = you get a lot of opinions, some good some not worth sh*t or the time it took to type it.

The second would be to contact ACT or me since I work there. The possibility of getting the problem fixed is more likely to happen in the latter scenario. I'm out of town for work but send me a PM if you're interested in getting the problem fixed as I've done for others on here if they contact me.

Daryl

Brianawd

Good old ACT.

Nabeel

I face similer problem. It was axle problem. It came out from the transmission. The workshop told me clutch problem. I spend alot of money for stuped problem.

TakumiJr

Quote:
I face similer problem. It was axle problem. It came out from the transmission. The workshop told me clutch problem. I spend alot of money for stuped problem.

I know how you feel thats why I posted for opinion on here, because I figured I probably missed something. But, after removing the trans out we figured it was the clutch disc issue not something else.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned