The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vr4 jdm IC set up

frank1

I have a jdm vr4 RS intercooler I was wondering if i need to cut the bumper support to install this
do you guys have any tips or writeups on it ?

prove_it

I might be wrong but I don't believe you need to cut the bumper or the support. As long as you have the IC and the piping it should pretty much bolt on. Most people cut the bumper and the support to allow more airflow to the IC. Again, I might be wrong about this though.

Terry Posten

Yes, Wops right.

If the core did not have to be cut, the US cars would have came with the JDM style IC setup instead of having to design a completely different setup.

So......with the JDM bumper, you don't have to cut sh*t? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

mooserage

Staff member
Wait a second here, I don't believe that I cut my support until I did the ETS install, I will need to check some pictures, but I think the IC fits under the support... I'll get back on this...
-shamus

turbowop

With the JDM bumper, I didn't even have to cut any of it to fit my large Spearco 2-216. Plenty of room.

Shamus, it may be possible to mount the intercooler in some way that doesn't require cutting, but if you wanna mount it using the factory holes, it needs to be cut.

frank1

Do any of you guys have any pics

Jordangvr4

I didn't cut anything installing w/the jdm bumper,but i welded 2 nuts on the lower part of radiator support to mount it like o.e//there's 2 hole's w/o a nut on the usdm rad.support.....+ ic soft hoses need to be cut shorter

frank1

I have all usdm bumpers ^^^^

Hey Frank,
You might want to get in touch with Tre3zy on this forum.
He just installed the jdm fmic not too long ago.

hosmer

Theres 4 "slots" in the bumper support, if you cut out the bottom 2 you'll have plenty of room

100_0503.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned