The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Vatozone has this...

5OF2k

Quoting biglady112:
I just had a car in my garage that was completely built at Jack's yesterday. Aside from what I already know from over the years, after seeing what a complete build will get you, I would never take my car there. Let alone buy parts from there. Buyer beware.

And I suppose this has NOTHING with the personal vendetta you have against all things Jack's Trans as well as against everyone that works or has worked there or is tied to them in any way, shape, or form??

OP: the part number for the trans in the Vatozone link is for a FWD DSM trans. Therein lies the stupidity in going to a place like that for parts for our cars. Unless you know the SPECIFIC part number you are looking for, most OTC parts stores like that are completely useless and a hassle. I've gotten into arguments with people behind the counter before about my GVR4 being AWD/Turbo, all because his COMPUTER didnt tell him it was an option. In a nutshell, most people that work in stores like that are a joke.

As everyone says, go to Jack's and call it a day. Spend the money the first time, or spend more money in the long run.

-Jake

GVR47111K

Thank you everyone for your input.

Jack's is not out of the question yet but as of today I dropped the tranny off at A1 Transmission & Parts Co off 8th and I25 in Denver.
A1 is doing a diag of the internals for free and will let me know if they can re use any parts because the case is of no use. A1 has cases in stock. (Literally hundreds upon hundreds of transmissions all over the place.) They are no DSMers, but at the same time I'm only looking for a basic rebuild.

I'm not buying a trans from vatozone.

biglady112

When I see a fuel pressure regulator zip tied to a brake fluid reservoir, I don't care who it is, they are not competent. I actually hate everyone equally. Jack, shep, buschur, f*** them all. I am the actual definition of a do it yourselfer. Right or wrong. Or say the boost controller hooked up to the incorrect port on the wastegate. I could go on about the things I had to correct before we started tuning, but everything I speak about anyone is the truth. I admit my faults as well and fess up if I make a mistake. I caught my own car on fire in my garage doing testing. I am not perfect. I do not produce the flashiest or fanciest products out there, but my sh*t performs. No denying that.

The owner of said car is on dsmtuners. If he cares to come forward he can. I am leaving that up to him. I am just telling the original poster his money is better spent elsewhere. There are a handful of transmission places in Denver that can meet the goals he has. I have no vendetta, I just refuse to ride anyone's nuts. There are no favorites in my book. But with everything myself and my actual, personal friends have been through because of that business, I have no issue speaking up and sharing what ACTUALLY happens there and what you get for your money. It was bad enough I learned how to tear down and assemble mitsubishi transmissions on my own with the help of my best friend and his father.

Jesus_Negros

+1 biglady. Youre awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

5OF2k

Quoting biglady112:
When I see a fuel pressure regulator zip tied to a brake fluid reservoir, I don't care who it is, they are not competent. I actually hate everyone equally. Jack, shep, buschur, f*** them all. I am the actual definition of a do it yourselfer. Right or wrong. Or say the boost controller hooked up to the incorrect port on the wastegate. I could go on about the things I had to correct before we started tuning, but everything I speak about anyone is the truth. I admit my faults as well and fess up if I make a mistake. I caught my own car on fire in my garage doing testing. I am not perfect. I do not produce the flashiest or fanciest products out there, but my sh*t performs. No denying that.

The owner of said car is on dsmtuners. If he cares to come forward he can. I am leaving that up to him. I am just telling the original poster his money is better spent elsewhere. There are a handful of transmission places in Denver that can meet the goals he has. I have no vendetta, I just refuse to ride anyone's nuts. There are no favorites in my book. But with everything myself and my actual, personal friends have been through because of that business, I have no issue speaking up and sharing what ACTUALLY happens there and what you get for your money. It was bad enough I learned how to tear down and assemble mitsubishi transmissions on my own with the help of my best friend and his father.

Riding nuts is one thing, but chiming in and comparing your own work to theirs is like comparing a pinto to a Ferrari. I've seen some of your work, and it's "interesting" to say the least.

Im not trying to take sides here, or be a "nut rider", Im just saying you're just about in the worst position to talk sh*t about someones work quality.

Now, before this turns into another one of Mick's threads, lets just agree to disagree and keep it moving.

-Jake

Barnes

I've had mixed experiences with both Shep and TRE. And yes, the things mentioned that were performed by Jack's are really shady. However I'd be curious who did that work, and how it differs from their transmission work.

It's possible the people doing tranny rebuilds are competent, but the person wrenching on the car isn't. Or perhaps they are good with their main business (trannies), and not so much with general car work.

Not saying your statements are invalid, it's just possible other factors are involved.

I'd *like* to think that since the transmission is the part in question, and he is local, he would have a successful experience.

I just hope the place he takes it to does a good job. It would really be a bummer if they messed it up.

GVR47111K

^Metoo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Well, I spent the last three days commuting to and fro COSprings/Frederick and finally spoke to Ed at A1 Trans who will be performing the rebuild.

He explained to me over the phone that at some point the 2nd and 3rd synchros had been replaced/tampered with to get by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So, I'll be getting new:

1-2 slider

bearings

synchros

seals

and front case.

More input please.

Thanks,

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned