The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

22 spline output shaft

acn

Today I found a 22 spline t-case with matching output shaft from a 1990 Galant GSX in the local pick n pull. Somebody had actually greased the output shaft so the splines weren't worn out even though the car had 170k! My 23 spline setup is completely worn out. If I have both the 22 spline t-case and output shaft, can I replace my 23 spline setup with no issues? I thought I had read that it was possible to do this, but I haven't found anything to verify. Are 1990 GSX t-case gear ratios the same as the VR4?

CutlassJim

Yup they are the same. It's just a matter of draining the trans fluid, taking off the end case, removing the VC (watch out for the ball bearing) and sliding the output shaft out.

acn

Tell me more about this ball bearing. I already removed the shaft from the wrecking yard galant and didn't see a ball bearing. Gear ratios are the same in the 90 t-case?

CutlassJim

Quoting CutlassJim:
Yup they are the same.

The ball bearing is what holds the output shaft from sliding out. When you pop the VC off there will be a hole in the shaft from the trans. If it's upside down it will fall right out. If it's right side up use a magnet to get it out. The shaft won't slide out if the ball is still in there.

acn

Thanks for the info! When I removed the junk yard shaft, it must have been upside down and fell out because I didn't notice it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned