The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission compatibility

tacolibre

I just posted up about the car that I have but the transmission grinds in multiple gears so I went ahead and picked up a used unit from someone on c-list. This was listed as from a 1G eclipse.

Are these transmissions like for like(direct replacement)?

if not what sensors do I need to change over as far as sensors go? Or do i need a GVR4 specific trans or a trans for another DSM?

My future for the car involves building it slightly to hopefully around 300 whp, will a stock trans handle the abuse?

I have read about the ongoing fluid discussion for these and purchased Amsoil as spec'd on here. I was just going to do a clutch and a fluid replacement and slap it in.

holeshotmoe

It would also need to have the same TC spline count. Some info HERE .

Last edited:

tacolibre

So checkspline count and transmission number and thats it? No need to change over sensors?

GSTwithPSI

There are only 2 sensors on a 1G manual trans, if you count the speedo cable. The other is the reverse light switch. The spline count needs to match your xfer case. That's pretty much the jist of it. Are you currently trying to source another trans?

tacolibre

Already purchased on from c list. I live 2 hours away from my car all summer long so I only see it every 2 weeks or so. I will check the spline count the next time I'm there. One sensor is broken slightly is the reason I ask about the sensors. I might need a new one.

holeshotmoe

Assuming the new transmission is compatible with your car, regardless of spline count the speedometer drive gear and reverse lights switch will swap over. To be sure, you can compare the number of teeth on the plastic gear and check the depth of the section of the switch that goes below the mounting surface (but I think these are all the same length on 1G's and GVR4s.). Also, there is one other consideration: Depending on what you bought, it is possible the shift arms (what the shift cables attach to on the transmissions) may differ. This is not a big deal, but something you'll have to consider.

mitsuturbo

Output shafts are SUPER easy to swap out. If you find a good transmission that doesn't happen to match your Transfer case spline count, simply swap the output shaft with your old transmission. Swapping basically involves 11 bolts and a snap ring. Whoopdeedoo! It really couldn't be much easier.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned