The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans info

mitsu90

I picked up a 5 speed trans and Tcase for $25. The guy bought it used and knows nothing about it. Is there any way to check if it's good? I know "when in doubt rebuild" However the trans in my car is crapped and I would like to send the better on the two to be rebuilt .

SmoothCustomer

You should be able to put it in all the gears with the shift forks that are on top of the transmission. You can use your car if the trans is still in as a reference for what each gear should look like. I'm sure there are other ways but that is a simple preliminary way. If that doesn't work, it's got problems.

mitsu90

I shifts be hand fine..But I wasn't sure if that meant squat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

jepherz

Staff member
There isn't going to be much you can test outside of putting it in every gear and checking input/output shaft rotation. Once you get it in the car, you'll find how well the syncros are working, and if the center diff is good or not.

Cheap find! Are you sure it is the right gear ratio? (from a AWD turbo DSM?)

mitsu90

Yea it's out of a DSM.. The tcase has 91 galant VR4 wrote on it with a paint pen.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gifOhhh! The paint pen method. Very reliable method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif
What numbers are stamped on the tranny?

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsu90

Not sure I haven't looked that far into it. I was more amused that it said galant on it then anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Get the code from it so we can tell you exactly from what car it came from.

mitsu90

Quoting Dbossman:

What numbers are stamped on the tranny?

kw5m332npxv

mv5008

iLLeffeKt vr-4

According to this its a t/e/l AWD 5spd mfg 6/90-2/94

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned