The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

trans axle seal

ok so i needed to replace the drivers side axle seal, well i popped out the old seal and it has a metal outer shell and the newer one that i got from mitsubishi is all rubber so im having alot of trouble gettng the new one in. if anyone has any helpful thoughts plz post here or PM me

the metal one on the left is the one i took out< the new one that i bought from the dealer is the all coated rubber seal.

BoostedAWD91

i never have seen one all metal like that. the times i have replaced the axle seals on the tranny its been just the rubber ones

turbowop

Driver's side seal is metal with a shoulder that keeps you from installing it too far in, passenger side is the all rubber one. They gave you the wrong seal. Sucks, I know. I remember doing that years ago for the first time and finding out I had the wrong seal while doing it on a Saturday when the dealer was closed. Car was already up on stands and taken apart in a buddy's garage, FTL. I mangled the old one getting it out so the car had to sit on stands until the following Monday.

ok so the rubber one that i bought is not the right seal? does anyne no the part number for the drivers side seal, bc i bought two of thes at mitsu the other day and they just say that is the right seal.

1941Galant

MD719710

This was taken from JNZtuning.com:
"Manual transaxle - Manual transaxle - Manual transaxle - Axle seals
Axle seals, eclipse, 2.0l, w/turbo, 4wd, left side 1991 - 1994"

Last edited:

and this will work with the galant? i will go check this part number out at mitsubishi tomarro, thx for your help

fivestardsm

That isnt the pass side for an AWD. It should have a dust boot around it to seal to the "jack shaft" That would be a typical seal for a FWD with a one piece axle which were found in the Non turbos, and more commonly in the earlier turbo FWD lasers.

BTW, what was the part # for that new seal?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned