The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

tps CEL?

Brunoboy

Hey guys, I removed my Turbo to switch it out with my new used b16g, yes its a MHI lol, and I took off the throttle body to clean it, well My CEL just came on, and my logger doesnt work anymore. would tampering with the TPS sensor by taking it off and putting it back on cause a CEL if the TPS isnt re adjusted???
-Shane

464/2K

It shouldn't. Get a buzzer and pull the code.

Did you mark where the TPS was and reinstall it in exactly the same place? IIRC, the TPS reads around 10% when the throttle is fully closed. If the ECU is seeing throttle position that is too far off while the throttle switch is closed then yes it can throw a CEL. But without knowing exactly what code you have you're just shooting in the dark.

Brunoboy

well its gotta be a pretty good guess since thats all i took off, and no i did not mark it.
-shane

Easiest and most accurate way to adjust the TPS is with a logger. You could try to do it with an ohm meter as well. I haven't done it this way before, but this is how I would try it:

WARNING! Math involved!

This page will show you which terminals on your TPS to measure. Take the TPS off and measure the resistance with the sensor in the closed position, then with the sensor wide open and figure the difference. For example, if it's 1k ohms closed, and 5k ohms open, the difference is 4k ohms. You want it to read about 10% when the throttle plate is closed. 10% of 4k ohms is 400 ohms. So you'll want to adjust the TPS on the throttle body until you get a reading of 1.4k ohms with the throttle plate closed. Disconnect your negative battery cable for about 10 seconds to reset the ECU. Then start the car/go for a drive and see if the CEL comes back.

Brunoboy

so what do I do with the logger? look at the throttle position and just loosen the tps, and move it til it says 10% throttle and then tighten it???
-Shane

Brunoboy

will do, picking up a new logger tomorrow, will check the code, then readjust the tps, Can I take the tps off while the TB is on the car? it seems theres not enough room but what do I know, i messed up whatever it was lol.
-Shane

If you adjust it with the logger you don't take the TPS off, just loosen the screws and rotate it until it shows 10% at idle.

Brunoboy

lol alright thanks lol

Brunoboy

fixed Thanks, I set it to 10.1 but it kind of alternates between 10.1 and 10.5 but it runs good now, Just my stupid CEL for my coolant temp sensor -__-
-Shane

Brunoboy

my WOT is only 99.2% though -__-..........Have no idea why
-shane

That is fine, don't worry about it. The 5 volts from the ECU has to travel the whole way out to the TPS and back again, which causes a very slight voltage drop. It is normal, no one ever sees 100%.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned