The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Total noob question - crushing bov enough?

trunks

I've never actually seen a picture of a crushed 1g bov. I threw it in the vice and cranked on it a little. I want to push nearly 30 psi so just want to make sure it's crushed enough before I reinstall it.

Thanks!

GVR4_1057

That looks like the correct amount of crush. Another thing to check out is the Dejon leak stop mod. I just did it this week to my car (previously had a crushed BOV)and it seems to be better and has much more sound when venting. The crushing prevents the BOV piston from fully actuating and with the mod it holds better and still functions fully. Just my experience /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

trunks

Thanks for the reply. I looked into that other mod but I guess I'm wussing out with the drilling and tapping part. I'm going to try this first and see how it goes.

Barnes

I personally think that is crushed too much. It is a much better idea to do the Dejon mod. The original BOV on my white car was crushed that much, and the turbo kicked the bucket. It's pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed. The reason being that crushing the BOV reduces the amount the BOV can open, thus restricting the outlet flow. You are basically making your BOV hold more boost at the cost of it not actually venting as much air.

trunks

I've been reading all the threads that I can and I'm a little worried. I read 1/4 turn in the vice is all and I think I went more than that a bit. Plus I plan to run a brand new 86hta. Maybe I'll just get an aftermarket instead of risking my turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Quoting BarnesMobile:
I personally think that is crushed too much. It is a much better idea to do the Dejon mod. The original BOV on my white car was crushed that much, and the turbo kicked the bucket. It's pure speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed. The reason being that crushing the BOV reduces the amount the BOV can open, thus restricting the outlet flow. You are basically making your BOV hold more boost at the cost of it not actually venting as much air.

That's why I have 2 crushed 1g's on there. I have done 26 psi with no issues and plenty of volume moved between shifts.

If your going to run that much boost, just buy an aftermarket one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Diego

Only if its as nice as yours ^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks bro. That's a 1 of a kind bossman/anothernewb custom piece. More to come! Got my big oven today. So it's pretty much on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trunks

Yeah, ordered a forge motorsport one after reading good reviews on it on tuners yesterday. On a side note, my 68hta finally shipped today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Lonewolf64

Don't forget to recirculate if you are still running a MAF based air metering system.

you wouldnt wanna get killed in the face..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

trunks

Why? I just want to hear that cool swooshing sound /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GM MAF, link v3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned