The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Top mounted intercooler, very short route and hood scooped! *UPDATE*

Leon_R

Forget about the intake/boost leaks! Anything significant enough to effect boost will be heard by ear!

Most of slow spoiling problems are related to exhaust leaks. Now, there the obvious leaks, around the exhaust manifold, which are easy to notice. But there are also internal leaks, through the internal wastegate that are impossible to notice (other than from slow boost build-up).

Start by checking the pre-load on your wastegate flapper valve by the WG actuator. You should have to stretch the arm around 1/8th it the hole diameter for proper pre-load.

Lastly, did you ever inspect your turbine (hot) housing for cracks. Anything with more than 10-15k miles will have "some" cracks. That is normal, but at some point, those cracks will get large enough to cause internal exhaust leaks (even if flapper valve is properly seated).

rdomeck

Every part of the turbo is brand new! Turbo, manifold, O2 housing, exhaust, pretty much everything! I am giving number's of 4th gear on the interstate and not first gear take off!

SouthCaliVR4

Even so, in fifth from an off boost cruise I'm in full boost (17lbs) by 3.2k. do a third gear pull & see when your boosting. also check your boost gauge for leaks, you may be getting an incorrect reading.

FYI, I'm on a evo3 16g, evo3 mani, hogged 1g o2 housing & full three inch turbo back with a cat. intake side is 1g maf, stock pipes & an ebay intercooler. also have stock (crushed) blow off valve.

Granted I'm 9 to 1 compression w/cams.

Leon_R

It should build boost in 4th gear at lower RPMs! That is because it will have more time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So we can rule out cracks, which is good. You can still have wrong WG preload! I have seen several brand new 16Gs with open flapper valves. This usually happens if turbo is bumped on the WG actuator and it becomes bent. I would check it...

GSX_TC

im on an EVO III 16g with a bunch of boost leaks all over the place and i hit 15 pounds somewhere in the 2000 rpm range

rdomeck

Mitsu 16G!

grocery_getter

Actuator problem or the flapper valve is unseated somehow.

RedTwo

Does the funnel still work at high speeds or does it start to become a restriction?
Oh and yeah, that's really bad spool - most likely one of the connections to the exhaust manifold.

curtis

Check manifold to head, manifold to turbo and you might want to shim the wastegate actuator with a couple washers to put more force on the system but I'd say the 1g BOV is junk sounds strange but I have noticed over the years that location sometimes has something to do with leaks. My friends tial wouldn't seal for crap on his sti and we put a HKS on it in the same spot and was fine.

rdomeck

SO...... I have spent the last hour over on ECM Tuning and every log I see boost isn't coming on until 2800....I'm coming on at 2300. The rest of the rpm it seems like I'm also about 500 RPM less than any other log's that I can find.

Why is it that you guys think I have a problem? This is a new engine, with new gaskets, new valves, new rings, new turbo, etc. I'm not new to building engines or modifying things. I have built turbo Porsche's and other higher end cars, but this is my first DSM and my first turbo car.

GSX_TC

oh noez, he called it a DSM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

grocery_getter

Boost curve. With your combination of a 2.0 and evo3 16G, boost should come on strong straight to the peak boost way under 4000 rpm then depending on where the boost level is set will either hold it level to the redline or taper to the redline. The way your turbo is spooling up right now with it gradually reaching peak boost slowly but surely at a much higher rpm indicates that the turbo is not spooling up as quickly as it should which means either you have bad leaky connection between the head to manifold, manifold to turbo or your wastegate flapper is not sealing on the turbine housing flange completely or your wastegate actuator is bad allowing exhaust pressure to blow the flapper valve open and basically allowing exhaust flow to bypass the turbine wheel.

Whatever it is, you are not spooling the turbo fast enough. That is the very indication that something is wrong in the system.

transparentdsm

Quoting rdomeck:
I have built turbo Porsche's and other higher end cars, but this is my first DSM and my first turbo car.

not to be an asshole but what? have you or have you not worked with/on a turbo cars before. this is an amazing job done though. i really really like the whole hood thing. like im totally going to do it on my laser rs

rdomeck

Quoting transparentdsm:
Quoting rdomeck:
I have built turbo Porsche's and other higher end cars, but this is my first DSM and my first turbo car.

not to be an asshole but what? have you or have you not worked with/on a turbo cars before. this is an amazing job done though. i really really like the whole hood thing. like im totally going to do it on my laser rs

Maybe I worded that wrong....This is the first turbo car that I have personally owned. I have done a lot of modifying and fabrication on them for other people, but not for myself.

Seems like I need to get some more data on my boost levels at RPM. This is the fastest car to come up on boost that I have driven in a long time. I don't believe that I have anything wrong and I know I have made an improvement on how this car was with the stock set up. I didn't have ECMlink before I did all this modifying and I didn't think to take all this data the hard way or even look for that matter. I only drove the car 385 miles from purchase to bent valves! I did notice today that it comes on up to 10 lbs when I first take off at about 1800RPM...Didn't have to much time to mess with it and get my laptop, but hopefully will next week.....I may even be able to paint it!

rdomeck

Quoting zberto:
Interesting. The hood turned out good. I first saw the mock up with those sharp edges and I was like uh oh. Im eager to see the hood on the car.

You mentioned that there is nothing hot behind the intercooler but the trans is right below there.

Do you still have ac?

And do you feel like snapping a pic of your engine bay with the ic out so I/we can see what the intake pipe and mounting points look like?

img.php

img.php

img.php

I do still have A/C. Worked some more today on the car and got the hood fitting the way that it should.

NateCrisman

Quoting GSX_TC:
oh noez, he called it a DSM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

For all intent and purpose in regard to everything but the unibody and interior, it IS a DSM. The engine, drivetrain, electronics, and all engine bay stuff came off the same assembly line as the talon/laser/eclipse.

#1 can you post a log so we can check this out, my guess is there is simply a misunderstanding on the boost/rpm situation.

#2 if there is a spool issue, check the preload on the waste gate actuator. sometimes even brand new mhi turbos aren't preloaded right and the flap door isn't sealed up. just put a couple washers behind the 2 actuator bolts and it may spool WAY earlier if it's indeed leaking exhaust pressure.

#3 Kudo's on thinking outside the box on the intercooler.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned