The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Top mounted intercooler, very short route and hood scooped! *UPDATE*

Okayplayer

Let's see what this bad boy looks like on your car. Pics please

transparentdsm

i may just have to do this to my laser in a few months. forget the big front mount, im going to make room under that hood and slap in a top mount. where did you get that intercooler is it a wrx one??

rdomeck

I will get some photo's tomorrow. As far as were the intercooler came from....I purchased a core and made everything else.

mikus

Looks great. Am curious to see some data on this setup.

Its great to see stuff like this and the shortened bumpers thread (coughwriteupcough) coming up lately, 20 years in and people are still innovating.

Boost4U

both examples here look very cool and original I look forward to seeing the final product.

rdomeck

img.php

img.php

img.php

Enjoy!

Okayplayer

Alright! That looks good! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif It looks like your car will get all the air it needs. So how are your temps?

rdomeck

120's on boost! low 90's within 15 seconds off boost on a 70 degree day

Okayplayer

That sounds good, so how is the throttle response?

rdomeck

I think it's great. Boost starts in at 2300 I'm at 16 lbs at 5000 18 lbs at 6000 and 21 lbs at 7000. Will drive for a few more days and then pull apart to paint and finish up a little clearance issue with the hood!

gramkrakr89

that's one slick looking hood - I'm sure some purists will have a problem with it, but it blends quite nicely with the factory lines... it's not too massively tall, yet open enough to be functional... good work!

turbowop

Quoting rdomeck:
I think it's great. Boost starts in at 2300 I'm at 16 lbs at 5000 18 lbs at 6000 and 21 lbs at 7000. Will drive for a few more days and then pull apart to paint and finish up a little clearance issue with the hood!

Are you running a GT42r? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

rdomeck

I'm running a big 16G with an evo 3 manifold and O2 housing and a 3" turbo back exhaust that I made. It is made from stainless mandrel bent tubing. I am running a Flowmaster which I didn't think would be a great muffler for this car, but it actually sounds ok and doesn't seem to be holding too much back!

I will have to admit that I did se temps barely into the 150's tonight for about 4 seconds....The did come right back down to the 120's and were back to the 90's once I exited the interstate! A little higher than I would like, but it takes the car into full boost in 4th to get them this high......

I will be working on this. I'm thinking of a puller fan and some insulation around the intercooler to keep the heat from the radiator from getting to it.

turbowop

I was joking when I asked that. I was hinting at your slow spool times for such a small turbo.

The fabwork looks great, though I'm not a fan of the hood or IC setup. I can appreciate the craftsmanship though.

cheekychimp

^ This!

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the intercooler, but there is a serious problem there. You have done so much work here to negate the factory pipework and reduce it to just nine inches but it is not paying off if you are seeing those boost levels at those rpms. A 16G turbo should be seeing that 21 lbs at well under 4000 rpms (more like 3200-3500).

I'd hazard a guess at a serious boost leak somewhere. Definitely time to break out the air compressor and fab up a boost leak tester for the turbo inlet.

Last edited:

Leon_R

Something isn't right here... What wastegate are you using?

rdomeck

I'll start checking things out. I am using the wastegate that is in the turbo. I am also using the factory 1G BOV. I'll look a little closer at my boost levels at RPM's. I'm pretty sure that I'm not leaking anywhere....I only have two hoses that could leak and they are only about 3" long. Not impossible, so I will check everything to make sure!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned