The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

throttle body

coreyc123

ok so i was wonder what sensor is on the throttle in the back by the throttle cable?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

SmoothCustomer

TPS Sensor.

Edit: That's throttle position sensor. It senses how far open/closed the throttle plate is and tries to match it with the proper amount of fuel based on how much air should be coming through that plate.

Last edited:

turbowop

Or...idle switch or ISC motor. Newbs don't explain things very well so it's hard to tell exactly what he might be talking about.

prove_it

Are you asking about the 6 wire thingy or the single wire doohicky?

It sounds like you are probably talking about the idle-closed switch. Its just a single wire, right?

prove_it

Yea single wire, on off switch.

prove_it

Yes that is the closed throttle idle switch. It's important for the ecu to have this input, otherwise you'll have idle issues when coming to a stop.

Are you sure your's is bad? There's really not much with them that can go wrong. Sometimes they get a little oxidized, but can be cleaned up. Oftentimes I have seen them be misadjusted, but someone who thinks they are an idle speed adjustment. The plunger simply gets connected to ground when the throttle opens.

coreyc123

Well i am like 50% that its bad. I get and idle sureger and i unplug it and the car will start to idle fine after that i wouldnt say im the best with car tho.

prove_it

Keydiver correct me if I'm wrong but:

The switch is good. If you unplug the switch and it idles better then that means the computer is getting a signal from the switch. All that switch does is send a ground signal to the computer. It doesn't really sense anything. That switch is only for coasting the engine down when you push the clutch in while coming to a stop anyways. Not really used for just idling while motionless. The ISC controls that, and those are common failures.

Go to vfaq.com and read up on idle surge. That will give you more info.

fivestardsm

This might help a little.

1990ggsxnj

The idle surge is actually telling you the idle switch is GOOD. Why? Because too much air (faulty BISS, Leaky FIAV, Incorrect Idle adjustment, incorrectly adjusted CLOSED THROTTLE SWITCH, etc) is getting injested. When this happens, the ecu has two things it can do. 1) Add more fuel to match the air coming in or 2) shut fuel/spark off to drop the revs. If you notice, with the switch unplugged, the idle stabilizes but usually HIGH (correct me if I'm wrong) because it thinks the throttle is open and you want to GO! so with the added air, it just matches with fuel as if you're driving normally. With it connected, it knows that you're not applying throttle. When this happens, you get a condition caused by the ecu itself (idle surge) because it thinks it shouldn't be reving above a certain point (the point where the idle drops during the surge).

This is how I understand it and may help you understand why you need to invest a bit more time in troubleshooting other areas to cure this. VFAQ's are great tools. I personally would start with a boost leak test. It cures many ailments and can save you time later on by preventing what would have been an additional problem.

Last edited:

Yes, this is correct. Your Idle Switch is GOOD. What you need to do first is set the idle speed, as per the VFAQ:
click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned