The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock BOV put to atmospheric-consequences?

maxash0775

Say I was going to remove the recurculating tube on the BOV and leave it open to atmospheric and then go to LOWES and use a piece of PVC and hose clamps to block off the hole on the intake tube. What would happen. What would be the effects. Not saying I did it of course, but to broke for BOV at the moment. Remember mean section so no name calling, or at least keep it to a minimum. Thanks

Vr4junkie

Well one time I was working on my car and for got to reconnect that hose and drove the car like that for a bit made that bov noise but the car would idle differently and stall out at times.But never plugged it up like your saying so not sure on the out come.

fuel

basically you're venting air to atmosphere which the AFM has already accounted for and therefore has dumped fueling in for - if you remove the recirculating air the engine will momentarily run rich whenever the BOV actuates. I found I actually improved fuel economy and drivability felt much better when I ditched the SCI twin trumpet BOV and went back to the stock recirculating one.

Jason G.

Quoting maxash0775:
Say I was going to remove the recurculating tube on the BOV and leave it open to atmospheric and then go to LOWES and use a piece of PVC and hose clamps to block off the hole on the intake tube. What would happen. What would be the effects. Not saying I did it of course, but to broke for BOV at the moment. Remember mean section so no name calling, or at least keep it to a minimum. Thanks

It won't run.

LIV4PSI

The post above is right. It won't run until you at least plug the hole in the intake. And once its plugged, then it will run horrible under idle and when shifting still. The stock BPV is very capable, no point in replacing it.

James

Every DSM/vr4 is different on this subject. Some will run without a hitch (aside from wasting fuel) some will bog stutter and die. I can't explain why.

The simple answer is stop while you're ahead. You have no reason to do this, do you? Because you want the noise? This isn't 1995 anymore. Save your money till you can get a different BOV (and still recirculate it) or save you money and get something that you can tune For having it venting to atmosphere.

mitsuturbo

You can do this if you run a blow-thru MAF, such as a GM MAF, with a MAF Translator, or a SD setup such as the archaic HKS VPC, or better yet, ECMLink with MAP and IAT.

ECMLink will also control a GM MAF natively now as well. If you're running a draw thru, karman vortex MAF (i.e. stock airflow meter) then you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice to VTA (vent to atmosphere), it's flat out stupid. Don't do it.

For example.. i had a friend who did this at the track... he was running high 15's in his DSM. I helped him plumb his BOV the way it was SUPPOSED to be, and whaddya know? He was running high 14's (a full second faster) on his next passes.

LIV4PSI

Quoting James:
Every DSM/vr4 is different on this subject. Some will run without a hitch (aside from wasting fuel) some will bog stutter and die. I can't explain why.

He wasn't talking just about venting the BOV. He was talking about driving it with a huge hole after the MAF in the intake. I won't run at all with the intake like that. If the intake is fully sealed and the BOV doesn't leak, the car should only run rich when the BOV vents. Long story short, he needs the aforementioned PCV plug first, not second.

Also, a MAFT or even better a MAP based setup is the proper way do it.

Last edited:

Barnes

If you vent your BOV to atmosphere DR1665 will stab you in the face.

James

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Quoting James:

He wasn't talking just about venting the BOV. He was talking about driving it with a huge hole after the MAF in the intake. I won't run at all with the intake like that. If the intake is fully sealed and the BOV doesn't leak, the car should only run rich when the BOV vents. Long story short, he needs the aforementioned PCV plug first, not second.

Also, a MAFT or even better a MAP based setup is the proper way do it.

I don't know how I misread that. Yea if you do that you're just a dumbass.

xaisomboun

My take is, don't do it unless you do the MAFT way.
Unless like what was said previously that you could live with the crappy MPG and a slower car!

boostedinaz

Quoting Barnes:

This man speaks the truth.

DR1665

Quoting boostedinaz:
Quoting Barnes:

This man speaks the truth.

And know ye this, Bakersfield, I do so with an exceptionally sizable lexicon at my disposal capable of furious vengeance and severe mental anguish.

Besides. You live in California. It's illegal. Do you really want to break the law in order to get your car to sound the FAIL SIGNAL every gearshift? Tsk, tsk.

mitsuturbo

I'd think a loud BOV in CA would be a good way to get pulled over. They KNOW that sh*t's not legal.

Vr4junkie

Yea tell me about it cops are dicks out here its ridiculous i've gotten so many fixing tickets for headers and little things like aftermarket air filters. But since the car did come turbo stock wounder if you can get away with that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

ktmrider

^^ Not in CaliFornification you won't!

Those folks know cars and "mods" better than most of us do. It's way easy revenue for the state and boy do they love their untaxed monies.

Even if the mod is CARB legal they'll many times issue the ticket then make you get it reversed.

Vr4junkie

Actually no they won't give you a ticket Back in the day when I used to have a Honda I had all bolt ons but every thing had a CARB number cops never told me nothing when they checked it out...but I'm going to look into that it would be nice to have that bov noise.

steve

If the cops aren't enough of a deterrent for you, the car is also going to run like sh*t.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned