The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock 4G64 Block + DOHC head

Very nice, thanks man. Is he on CODSM or RMDSM? I am banned from tuners for some reason..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Struc

There has been a lot of misinformation posted here, so I'm going to attempt to clear it up a bit.

First off, is the engine you got a 6-bolt or 7-bolt version? [EDIT, sorry, just re-read the thread and saw that you have a 6-bolt engine] What year was the Expo?

If it's a 7-bolt, with the SOHC 16-valve head, there is some work you need to do to the block to plug some oil drain holes. Most people do it with freeze plugs, although you could drill & tap for a threaded plug. This is fairly well documented out on the net if you want to search a bit.

If it's a 6-bolt, the DOHC head should bolt right up with no issues, depending on which head came on the engine originally.

Depending on the year, and which head came on it, will determine what the compression ratio will be with the stock pistons. The SOHC 16-valve head has the same CC combustion chamber as the DOHC head. Thus, whatever compression the engine came with, it will have when you are done with the swap. Earlier and CA cars had 9.0:1 CR. Later 93+ (7-bolt) (non-CA) had 9.5:1. The 1994 Galant GS which came with a DOHC head had 10:1 CR.

If it came with the 8-valve head, I'm afraid I don't have a clue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The stock 7-bolt pistons are not turbo duty, but have held up pretty darn well to lower boost levels, per my personal expirence. An old friend, John Peckham (RIP), for those who may remember him, had put together his "Firepower GSX" with a stock 7-bolt 4G64, and ran some race gas through it at 18psi, and put out 380hp or so. I personally wouldn't have thought it would hold up to that, but apparently, with a proper tune, and supporting mods, they can.

Give me a little more info about the engine you bought, and I can tell you more.

Last edited:

DarkDevilMMM

I think this is an interesting idea, so which means, if I get an expo or mighty max, in which both are 4g64, I can just turbo it with my left over parts?

my question is, why do you want to switch out the SOHC head if the turbo manifold will fit right on? is the DOHC head that much better if you are only doing low boost anyways?

Struc

Some of the Mighty Max pickups had the widebody bell housing, for the RWD tranny. You need to be careful if you plan on mating the engine to a typical AWD car. Depends on the year, though.

The earlier 8-valve heads had a totally different bolt pattern / design for the exhaust manifold. There would be no way to bolt up a standard exhaust manifold. However, in this case, he did say he got a shortblock, so I'm guessing it didn't come with a head.

But, yes, for low boost, and lower RPM applications, the 16-valve SOHC head is perfect. Consider it the "Stump puller" head application. Really good low RPM response.

Another Spyder owner did the DOHC swap and E3 16G turbo upgrade on his, and we compared dyno charts (I turbo'ed my stock SOHC head). He actually had better / more mods than I have as well. My car produced more HP/TQ at lower RPM (as I remember, like 25 ft/lbs at 3000rpm). Around 4500RPM, his graph kept going up, and my started falling off.

Last edited:

Hey Guys, I am bringing this thread back. I am almost done putting my engine together using the SOHC block. Now aside I have the clearance issue covered, my next big question is compression related. Static compression should be around 12:1, and I am concerned about the stock rod bolts holding up. I have a set of eagle rods laying around, but being that I am building this as an experimental engine, I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time and money on it. Do you guys think that the stock rod bolts can handle the compression that this engine will put out? Also based on finding of a local guy I hear he put out some serious power with this combination of engine, so I am going to try and use a 50+ lbs/min turbo + E85.

Brianawd

What block did you end up using. Looking to do the same swap to a galant gsx but keep it NA

I am using a 4g64 from a 1992 Expo. I found a 6bolt 92, which is kinda hard to find. It's an 8v engine.

Brianawd

I need to find one for my 2.4 na ggsx project.

Struc

You can use a G4CS instead, if you can't find a 6-bolt 4G64 (they can be hard to find). Search on www.car-part.com for a 1989-1991 Hyundai Sonata. You should be able to find plenty of those close enough to you.

Brianawd

Quote:
I am using a 4g64 from a 1992 Expo. I found a 6bolt 92, which is kinda hard to find. It's an 8v engine.

I just found this same motor at a junk yard today. Going to pick it up in a few weeks

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting Jonvr4:
Hey Guys, I am bringing this thread back. I am almost done putting my engine together using the SOHC block. Now aside I have the clearance issue covered, my next big question is compression related. Static compression should be around 12:1, and I am concerned about the stock rod bolts holding up. I have a set of eagle rods laying around, but being that I am building this as an experimental engine, I really don't want to spend a whole lot of time and money on it. Do you guys think that the stock rod bolts can handle the compression that this engine will put out? Also based on finding of a local guy I hear he put out some serious power with this combination of engine, so I am going to try and use a 50+ lbs/min turbo + E85.

They are about the same as an evo 8-9 rod so I am sure with a proper tune it would be fine, You could always shotpeen them for added strength.

Timing is going to be an issue on e-85 since you wan't to make your tune pretty muck like a c-16 tuns so you will be adding lots of timing basically there will be no room for error with the stockers.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned