The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Steering rack install question

mr.mitsu

How far does the universal joint sit in the rack?

Here is a pic of how it sits so far.

753FF73D-173D-4451-83DA-75730408D338-471-0000003DE02AB3D0_zps76baba28.jpg

Should it bottom out?

How many sets of splines are on the universal? The rack has 2 separate spline sections to which I can I only assume match 2 sets on the universal.

Thanks for any input!

LIV4PSI

I just installed a manual rack on my car, it didn't bottom out. It moved easily at first, and just totally quit once it got to about where yours is sitting. That is where we left it.

mr.mitsu

Where it sits now if I turn the wheel it "skips" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't think it sits low enough

pot

Staff member
In the image pictured, do you see the splines of the shaft that connect to the steering collar? You need to clean them off real good and remove the rust/grime/dirt etc. Then re-grease and get the shaft flush w/ that collar. You may want to get a flat head screwdriver and gently pry on the collar to make it a bit easier for the splines to rest flush, but not too much because you'll obviously be tightening that down once the splines are seated w/ the collar. Currently, you can turn the wheel all day cause nothing is making contact w/ that collar.

Last edited:

citymunky

I need to contact the lower splines. Like Pot said use a flathead to pry the to universal joint half's apart, and try again.

mr.mitsu

The skipping was with the collar bolt installed. I managed to clean the spline and install the female portion even further on the rack spline. Still not bottomed out, though

Wizardawd

If you look at the shaft, notice the cutout. Once the shaft is in far enough to allow the bolt to go thru the collar and 'thru' that cutout in the shaft you have it in deep enough.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned