The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stalling when engine-braking to a stop (RESOLVED)

EfiniX

Yeah, it coasts just fine. I"ve never had it stall while rolling on open road. Only when coming to a stop, when it is below 10mph for sure.

AllanL

not the dreaded idle stall?

not this? click

i do not have such on my car, so i just increasesd the zero/low load timing areas of the timing map.

EfiniX

Might be. My idle air clamp is enabled, but the values are higher then the recommended values on the ECM website. I'll make some tweaks and report back.

EHmotorsports

only thing that hasn't been done is the Fiav. we can block it off and check it again.

prove_it

I'd try that too. That could be why it's worse when the engine is hot.

MellowVR4

What maf are you using?

LIV4PSI

Quoting EfiniX:
Quoting EHmotorsports:
I am starting to wonder if the resistance in the harness is increasing just enough to cause this after long hot droves.

Well it is certainly more pronounced when I've been driving for a while. Just fine when for short drives.

Interesting theory...

The ECU makes the engine idle much higher during cold idle to help get it warm. I bet that is why it is worse during long drives.

My Subaru has this problem, unfortunately I just learned to live with it

lancerglx

would it remedy the problem if a fiav/isc blockoff plate was used since you can keep the engine at a sightly higher rpm when idle without it going too high high when its cold.I have the same problem but its fine when cold hence the revs are slightly higher,,then when the revs drop and its at normal running temp it will stall when shifted into neutral.

mitsuturbo

Quoting EfiniX:
New PVC valve.

This is all so strange...

A PVC valve? That is strange indeed. You may want to install a PCV valve instead. PolyVinylChloride and 4g63's don't go well together. Positive Crankcase Ventilation valves are somewhat beneficial, however.

Quoting MellowVR4:
What maf are you using?

This was asked previously. OP didn't answer.

Last edited:

EfiniX

MAF is stock, I think. ECMLink is configured with a Base MAF Type of "2G MAF".

Here's a picture if it helps?

coyotes

That is definitely not a stock MAF. Engine bay looks real nice dude. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

MellowVR4

RECIRCULATE the BOV.

prove_it

He has another thread discussing his issues with his recirc, and the resolution for it. It's set-up right.

Not a stock GVR4 MAF, but a 2G. Pull it off and check for the honey combs, no combs makes for much needed MAF comp.

EfiniX

I've actually done a good bit of work on the MAFComp already and it's operating right where I'd like it to at normal RPM's. I'll pay more attention to it at idle.

I'll have an update tonight for sure. I've got an hour drive after I finish work today, and I'm sure it will present me with a stall opportunity. Even if it doesn't die, I can see if the dip has improved with my clamp adjustments.

mitsuturbo

Quoting prove_it:
He has another thread discussing his issues with his recirc, and the resolution for it. It's set-up right.

VTA with a draw thru maf is not "set up right" regardless of any electronic compensation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

BTW, what is the Coasting FC offset set at?

Last edited:

prove_it

I don't get where you think it's VTA. Pic from his BOV flutter thread:

img.php

prove_it

Quoting EfiniX:
I've actually done a good bit of work on the MAFComp already and it's operating right where I'd like it to at normal RPM's. I'll pay more attention to it at idle.

I'll have an update tonight for sure. I've got an hour drive after I finish work today, and I'm sure it will present me with a stall opportunity. Even if it doesn't die, I can see if the dip has improved with my clamp adjustments.

What's your idle air per rev? Are you close to the .25 mark?

mitsuturbo

Aha. Of course that's the first thing we all suspect when someone claims their car is dying on decel. I didnt see any mention as to it having been recirculated.

Still, i wonder though. What is the Coasting FC offset at? I had to raise mine a bit, although i have a far different setup than this.

EfiniX

Idle at 950 w/ FC offset @60. AirflowPerRev @ idle is stable around .25, so that's looking ok.

I've got my fingers crossed that the clamp works out.

prove_it

Me too. Are you using the factory o2 sensor location, or do you have a WB simulating NB downstream? I know I have my WB downstream simulating NB and there is a latency there for the ecu to adjust trims.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned