The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Spring cleaning - GVR4 style.

sy1100

DAMN Terry!!! After reading this I puleed the carpet out of 720 today. Ill start my own thread with my progress, thanks for getting me motivated.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

Drive shaft is rebiult. For now, the bearings are stock. I think I have found a local machine shop that can balance test it so I am going to drop it off next week and see if they can actually do a 3 piece unit.

Got the leather cleaning stuff today but will be busy the next few days os it will wait until next week.

Took some before pics of the carpet today, will post up some clean pics and then some after dye pics. Hopefully it comes out good.

Got to get a fresh gallon of Mobile One, and a quart of Diaqueen. I still have plenty of heavy duty shockproof to replace the t-case loss from pulling the output shaft.

This spring cleaning crap is getting pricey. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Terry Posten

Here are some before pictures of the carpet before dyeing it black.

I used 5 bottles of RIT black (all Walmart had) and bought a new 35 gallon trash can for $8.00 at Menards. Filled it will the hottest water my hot water heater pumped out. Mixed all 5 bottles and folded up the carpet and plunged it into the water. I went out every 15 minutes and moved the carpet up and down to remix. As you can see, I used a tub filled with a big spool of wire to keep the carpet fully submerged.

Now for some 75% dry after shots. After removal from the can, I hosed it off until the water ran clear. Total soak time was 2.5 hours.

Terry Posten

Yep.

As of right now (still damp) it is a very consistent color black. Even the rubber is darker.

Can't wait until tomorrow to install it.

Also coated the seats and bagged them. They will sit for two days before cleaning them off.

Terry Posten

Seats were oiled and bagged yesterday while the carpet was soaking. They come out tomorrow.

Yes Wop, the carpet had never been removed. It was way passed bad.

The interior is all back in except the seats. Will re-fit the drive shaft tonight if I get some energy up.

blacksheep

So, leatherique steps are:

1) Clean seat debris
2) apply the oil with brush and rub in with hand
3) Bag it for 24-48 hrs
4) Use the pristine clean to wipe off oil

That sum it up. I have a set of seats I want to try this on...Thanks!

Terry Posten

I hope so KC. I will find out tonight.

After I get home, I will start on them while the charcoal grill is heating up.

BTW - I bought the 32oz set (both bottles being 32oz) and so far, after very liberal coats of oil (I put it on very thick), I only used 1/6 of the bottle.

I bet under normal use (every 6 months to a year) these bottles would last 4+ years.

If I had to order again, I would only get the 16oz bottles.

Terry Posten

OK guys and gals. Getting down to the short strokes with the interior. Don't know if I can do too much more to a 20 year old without replacing with new. I still want to spend some more time on the glue residue on the passenger side dash that has been there since before I bought it but for now, I will turn my focus to installing the drive shaft and doing the fluid changes and then off to the painter for the final touch-up and showroom finish.

The Leatherque stuff really did not do as much as I hoped. My seats really weren't that bad and black leather does not show dirt like a lighter color however, the rags did get very dirty and the water was nasty and I got new water after each seat part.

Here is a couple of pics from 2008 directly from my "members rides" post (will have to swap these out soon) and now from today. Click on them to blow them up to see the full effect. The camera really has a hard time really showing how well this came out.

OK, now for the rest of the pics. Some with flash, some without.

Okayplayer

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Now that looks great! You can really see the difference. Makes me wanna rehab my interior.

Terry Posten

No clue yet, still waiting for UPS for some Redline MT-90 to service the tranny.

Terry Posten

Thanks for the kind words.

Idk Terry those seats look pretty good to me. If you are not happy with them you could always give them another round. You will find also that the seats will soften even more after a few days or so....

transparentdsm

that is so nice, now i have to pull mine out of the car and wash and dye it. thank you for making my choice that much easier...

dustyduff

Terry, the interior update looks fantastic. The updated member showcase of your car looks absolutely gorgeous.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned