The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Splurged on a DSS driveshaft

JNR

what is the value in using aluminum in a street application though? Just because it can be done, should it? I'm talking for the average 'car guy'...one of those things that are cool, but what is the true advantage to justify the cost difference; whereas that few hundred bucks (most people are on some budget) could be used somewhere else...

Last edited:

14u2nV

^^exactly. everyone thinks "oh, so and so said/is going to: run these, they are the best. aside from the "coolness", everyday people are just wasting money using aluminum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

JNR

take your pick...lol. Really though, just saying that there's a point of waste and possibly doing it just because of the 'cool' or 'wow' factor. Would I run an aluminum shaft? Sure. Had one on my Formula (free upgrade to 1Le if you told them it vibrated on the highway)...But, would I pay a few hundred extra for no real tangible benefit for me? doubt it...Sure, many guys successfully run either type; that's great, but is one really the end-all-to-be-all? No.

Just all depends on what you're doing. Aluminum Flywheel (let's throw that one in also, haha) would do me no good on the Chevelle, as I'm not trying to rev it up (no need with the torque) and the vehicle is relatively heavy for that application.

Shall we talk about oval ports versus square ports on heads next? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

Quote:
what is the value in using aluminum in a street application though? Just because it can be done, should it? I'm talking for the average 'car guy'...one of those things that are cool, but what is the true advantage to justify the cost difference; whereas that few hundred bucks (most people are on some budget) could be used somewhere else...

There are practical reasons for using Aluminum Rods—the same reasons racers use them: less reciprocating and rotating mass due to their comparative lightness. That allows the engine to accelerate quicker and make more power as it does so. Lighter rods also improve throttle response and allow the engine to run reliably at a higher rpm than it could with steel rods. And a as stated before, a aluminum rod will transfer less shock load to the rod bearing than a steel rod. Less shock load on the rod bearing the longer it will live.

Also go look at the price of a good steel rod compared to a good aluminum rod.
click
Now days its not uncommon to see a dsm that makes over 600awhp so eagles,scat and Manley "H" Beam rods are not going to cut it.
So now the price of a aluminum rod does not look so bad.
Big reason I went with a aluminum rod in my car was because I know I would be close to that 600awhp rating the cheaper rods have. I also new one day I will want more then 600awhp and really did not want to chance it with a rod that was only rated to 600awhp.
Hey if your only building a car that makes under 600awhp then stay with the cheaper rods. But if you are go with a aluminum rod. The price is around the same as a good steel rod if not cheaper and the benefits of running aluminum rods have been stated.

Last edited:

JB

That will be it for class today...

Dismissed...

JNR

Quoting Brianawd:
Hey if your only building a car that makes under 600awhp then stay with the cheaper rods. But if you are go with a aluminum rod. The price is around the same as a good steel rod if not cheaper and the benefits of running aluminum rods have been stated.

I guess using a 4 cylinder, that would be pretty high hp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, just depends on what you're building and whatnot...glad it's working for you, although I'm just saying that there are pros and cons and like AutoCAD, there are least three ways to do things, lol.

DarkDevilMMM

So are we done with why/why not Aluminum yet?

Coz I want to know, how is the OP going to solve the balancing problem? Are you going to have someone balance the whole shaft for you, or are you just going to slap it on and call it a day? is it critical?

4thStroke

I just learned more from Brian than I did in my engineering course(s) today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

curtis

Quoting gtluke:
that's a good point brian. i guess when it's a solid object like a rod it's softer.
now i have no idea.

This really should of went to sexual undertones but I'm just tired...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^He said soft ROD^^^^^^^^^^^

onesickcrx

So this was the 3" drive shaft not the 3.5"?

I am just intrested to know if it will fit with my exhaust thats why I am asking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DR1665

I missed this thread previously. Before the prop goes back in 195/2000 this summer, I think I'm gonna paint it silver. Yeah. Silver.

onesickcrx

I called up Drive Shaft Shop today and they told me that for our cars they don't recommend the 3"

The reason is our cars have a long drive shaft so 3" isn't recommended

I ordered the 3 1/2" part number MISH3-HD Which is the only one they make for our cars according to DSS

Brianawd

That funny. Its not like are shaft is that much longer than a 1g.

onesickcrx

I thought the same thing but I figured thats the only one they recommend / sell for our cars I will go with that

onesickcrx

Well I just tried to install mine last night and what do you know its too long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Called DSS they asked me to ship it back to them. I am packaging it up now and hope to get a answer by end of the week as to what's wrong... To think I thought I was driving this off my lift last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

cheekychimp

Had the same problem with my DSS Drive shaft but there was no way I was shipping it back from Hong Kong. I just got it machined down.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned