The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Smaller DSM oil filter?

Does anyone here use the smaller DSM oil filter?

James

Depends on how you measure smaller. Are we talking the skinnier one? Or the shorter one?

Well the one I purchased was supposed to be for a 91 eclipse GSX.. The Galant VR4 filter is the only really big one I have seen and is not stocked as much in auto parts stores.. Can I get away with using the smaller oil filter? or will bad things happen?

jmorri15

as long as the threads are the same and it seals any filter will work. however i wouldnt leave it on nearly as long

No leaks and threads perfect. Just have excess surface area on the oil filter housing.
Cool.

turbofonz

I run the RX-8 filters. Super small. never had a problem.

beaner

Is it true all mitsu oil filters are the same thread? I've mixed and matched all kinds of mitsu filters over the years with no issue.

fuel

^^ most petrol engine Mitsus will be M20x1.5mm thread, but the diesels often use a much larger diameter thread. The Mitsu thread and gasket diameter is shared with many Hondas, most Subarus, many Mazdas etc. There are a ton of different filters you can use on the GVR-4. I personally use Mitsu OEM filters on mine - I am using the smaller diameter but longer length filter from later model Mitsus rather than the chode filters they originally would have used.

DR1665

I've always run the Fram TG6607. I think it might be for a Honda S2000. It's 2.63" tall by 2.69" OD. Original size is a TG3950, at 3.09" tall by 3.66" OD.

Shell Rotella T6 "synthetic" changed almost religiously at 3,000 miles.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned