The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

sigh...the bolts on the top of my fuel sending unit snapped.

and i cant find a gas tank for sale for the LIFE of me. i have a 91 gvr4 and was wondering if theres anything i can do with ym current tank. also, the sending line snapped off the fuel sending unit, but that can be welded to an AN fitting ive been told but, what to do about this tank? any suggestions? or suck it up and find a new one? thanks

Terry Posten

Drill out the broken studs and thread the tank with self-threading screws, clean all the metal out of tank and reassemble.

fivestardsm

Thats why I use a torch to heat up the bolts.

"WARNING: Do not attempt this procedure just because an idiot like me does, seriously, its not safe!!!"

mooserage

Staff member
^Haha

Mine was really rusted when I worked on it, metal brush to clean off some of the bolts/nuts. Then I took PB Blaster and soaked each one 3 times a day for two days, not kidding. Then I sed vice grips to gently take the nuts off, or in the case of a couple crushed them to dust, bought new bolts, no more rust! But, for this poster, what Terry suggested I think is the best way, just make sure you clean all your residue up really well.

JNR

Use caution with any power tools against the bolts (including drill bits and especially grinding)...one spark and, well...

I can't remember...is it a screw that goes into a 'nut' (threaded) on the tank? Is there anything to grab? PB blaster, as mentioned, works real well to help loosen it. Just remember you can never be too careful around gas tanks. I suppose you could empty the gas and fill it with water and go at it, but even then, those vapors!

its too late to do anything about the rust on the bolts. 3 of them are already fugged. whats this about self taping screws? the seal must be air tight correct?

HHIVR4

Seal needs to be air tight otherwise you are leaking flammable vapor.
You can get a new(ish/er) tank too.I havent had an issues with snapping them off yet..Call me lucky.

Terry Posten

A new gasket is only like $10 bucks.

Just go to any hardware store and ask for 3/4" self-tapping sheet metal screws. They sell them with phillips heads and hex head (1/4" socket) screws.

They have a very small drill bit tip and all you do is chuck up a screwdriver tip in a drill and just spin them down and they will cut their own hole and threads. They are about 2 cents a piece. Super cheap.

As far as metal in the tank. Drain it, fill with water, and do it. There is a drain plug in the driverside of the tank for easy draining and flushing. Use WD40 and spray the inside of the tank after you drain the water out. WD40 will displace the water.

also, whats the specific gasket im looking for in terms of the sending unit bein mounted on top of the tank?? thanks

Terry Posten

Yeah, just call the dealer and tell them you need the rubber fuel tank to sender gasket. or better yet, visit www.jnztuning.com and call them and they will hook you up at a better price.

Struc

MB400461 Gasket, Fuel Tank Pump

List $10.22, JNZ $7.92

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned