The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sheeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaack. New to me: seventeen ninety eight

"damn nick that car is on point. good work."

That's what I'm sayin', man; so incredibly stoked to call her mine. My hat's off to Nick; it's a really nice car. He (quite obviosuly) put a lot of time and effort into it. I like his attention to detail. Now, I enjoy building a car as much as the next guy, but it's always nice to start at a slightly higher plane when possible. I'll take the "leg up" with NO shame, especially when there's great value involved. I'm no stranger to building DSM's, either - though I've tended to own a lot of VWs. (I *must* be a glutton for punishment, huh?) Here's my old GSX DD:

gsx99.jpg

and for good measure, here's a Scirocco 16V I recently completed. It's definitely the sibling of the GVR4; as I put Interlagos seats from the new Scirocco in it. Haha (The GVR4 has Evo (9?) seats in it)

rocco.jpg

Come to think of it, even the wife is high-maintenance. ...and I'm always trying to replace her seat! LOL SHOOT ME!

Unfortunately, I suspect this car's been pretty well abused since nickbuilt kissed her goodbye. The synchros in 3rd and 4th are tore up pretty bad; though I haven't gotten the chance to pull and disassemble yet. I'll need to either way as it's blowing gear oil all over the d*mn place. At the very least, a good inspection and resealing is in order. There were a handful of things I was told it has, but am unsure of. I should just post it below and let you guys tell me what's up. I was told it has a dogbox, which is one of many things I am suspect of. I know the HP numbers were inflated - so the parts list probably was, as well. It's like a bad game of telephone.

The tune also seems to be all over the place. I believe Will had a different one put on the car. The AFRs are crazy, but thankfully - mostly just too rich. I'm hoping to have the chance to take care of that next week.

Unlike the last two owners, I fully intend to finish this car off and enjoy it for many years to come. It's been a long time coming.

Here's that list:

Exterior:
*Jdm front RS bumper
*Jdm projector foglights
*Jdm headlights w/ citylights
*Jdm RS corner lamps
*Jdm Evo 0 vented hood
*Jdm power folding mirrors
*Jdm RS rear bumper
*Jdm AMG 3 peice rear spoiler
*Evo 9 MR BBS 17x8 wheels (powdercoated white)
*Custom two-tone paint (bottom Evo 9 MR charcoal grey)
(top gvr4 summit white) paint job compliments of Deans expert auto body 2, Astoria, queens ny)
*8k hids top & bottoms
* 92 galant vr4 taillights
* jdm trunk badges
Suspension & drivetrain:

*D2 36- way adjustable circuit race coilover system
*front 4-piston Mitsubishi 3000gt front calipers & 13.5 inch rotors (powder coated brembo red)
*polyurethane bushing thru out entire car
*92-94 4 bolt LSD rear differential & axles with sub frame
( 4 wheel steering removed)
*torque solutions solid drive shaft carrier bushings
*torque solutions solid shifter bushings
*dog box race trannsmision double synchro 2&4 gear,
4 spider center front differential, Evo 3 shift forks
* ACT 2900 clutch setup (6-puck sprung disc)
* ACT chromoly lightened flywheel
* earls stainless steel brake lines
* three speed harness bar ( powdercoated summit white)
* ultra racing 1 peice race front strut bar
* ultra racing 1 peice race rear strut bar

Engine:
Head:
* 3 angle valve job
* ferrea race valves exhaust 1mm oversized
* ferrea race valves intake .5mm oversized
* BC dual valve springs & titanium retainers
* Mild port&polish
* GSC S2 camshafts
* ARP headstuds

Block:
*.20 oversized wiseco HD pistons 9.5.1 compression
* Manley turbo tuff connecting rods
* clevite 77 race rod bearings
* clevite 77 race main bearings
* ARP main studs
* balanced shafts removed
* oil squirters eliminated
( all machine work done at magnum automotive machine shop in woodside queens , ny)

Turbo:
* Full Race ram horn turbo manifold
* precision turbo billet 6262 journal bearing w/ .82 hotside
* tial mv-r wastegate
* tial 50mm blow-off valve
* ETS frount mount race intercooler
* custom 2.5 inch stainless steel intercooler piping
* magnus V3 intake manifold
* aem fuel rail
* FIC 1000cc fuel injectors
* buschur double pumper setup w/ dual walbro 255lph fuel pumps
* aeromotive fpr
* -6 AN fuel lines
* ATP Garret vband catch can w/ -6 AN lines off of valve cover
*custom 3 inch downpipe
* custom 3 inch muffler system w/ HKS hyper muffler
* mishimoto civic radiator
* custom 4 inch aluminum intake piping w/ HKS old school foam filter
* Earls oil cooler w/ custom -8 AN lines

Interior:

*Evo 9 ssl front and rear seats (custom front seat brackets)
*Evo 9 shift knob
*Evo 8 steering wheel w/ airbag ( custom made adapter)
*fidanza shirt throw shifter
*kenwood double din touch screen head unit
innovate wideband afr gauge
innovate oil pressure gauge
gizzmo electronic boost controller
turbo timer greddy

Last edited:

Quoting turbowop:
That's a sweet GVR4. I don't usually like Evo wheels, but those look great on that car. I can understand wanting to change some things to make it your own though.

Let me be clear; the wheels and spoiler look great, they're just not my style. I've never been the flashy wheel type, and with this car, they sleepier the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For obvious reasons, Nickbuilt gets "first dibs" on anything that comes back off the car. Sorry guys.

Nick, can you confirm what was/wasn't done during the trans build? Does any of the above seem out of place or incorrect?

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Your post about the transmission cant be right. Dog box means it doesn't have syncros.

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Your post about the transmission cant be right. Dog box means it doesn't have syncros.

That's what I was thinking. I thought a dogbox trans has no syncros, you just jam it in gear while lightly lifting the pedal.

turbowop

Dogbox Racing is a company, and they do a lot of DSM/GVR4 trans rebuilds.

Dogbox style transmissions don't have synchros. Most motorcycles use dogbox transmissions. Google can explain m0ar.

LIV4PSI

That makes sense. I had never heard of Dogbox Racing before.

Quoting turbowop:
Dogbox Racing is a company, and they do a lot of DSM/GVR4 trans rebuilds.

Dogbox style transmissions don't have synchros. Most motorcycles use dogbox transmissions. Google can explain m0ar.

Does anyone know if they're still in business? Their website is down and it looks like their FB page hasn't been touched in some time.

Barnes

Dogbox racing - worst transmission shop name EVER.

Quoting 1793:
This car is going NOWHERE. She's mine now. I recall drooling over it when it got fresh SW paint about two years ago.

Any idea where that video is or who the past owners were?

Okay, so I lied. This is a lot of car. Anyone wanna trade me one closer to stock with some cash on top?

Okayplayer

Just turn down the boost. Or put a smaller turbo on it. Spend a bit of cash on that and keep a stunner of a car.

Quoting Okayplayer:
Just turn down the boost. Or put a smaller turbo on it. Spend a bit of cash on that and keep a stunner of a car.

I was only kidding. My biggest issue is really the clutch. If this were the weekend car, it wouldn't be an issue at all, but one day of rush hour traffic in it and I'm looking for the pain pills when I get home. I've got the bajillion dollar knee (reconstructive surgery, cadaver ligaments, etc..) which doesn't much agree with the 2900# clutch when used daily.... which brings me to my other point, it's almost a shame to daily this thing. :-/

So, here's my next question... Anyone want an AMG 3pc spoiler?

Last edited:

Street Surgeon

Get a twin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop, I figured you would like that. That post was just for you.

Anyway, here's the plan - if you have something I need or want something coming off of the car, LMK:

-milder clutch
-smaller injectors
-turn the boost down (just a lil bit)
-milder cams
-quieter muffler (just ordered the Vibrant 3" dual tip "Stealth" muffler)
-a good ol' fashion inspection/resealing
-new tune
-freshie trans/build (anybody have one FS?)

So, the following is/will shortly be available:
-lightly used (lol) 2900# clutch
-FIC 1000cc Injectors
-FIC 1650cc Injectors
-GSC Power S2 Camshafts
-HKS 3" Muffler
-Evo wheels
-AMG 3pc spoiler
-Decals (I feel like I'm driving a billboard!)

Today, I raised the D2's. Test fitting some Gram Lights 17x8.5 w/ 235/45/17s tomorrow. If they fit, I'll bomb them with some "wheel silver" for now, and rock them until I can score some Diamond Steelies. ....I'd prefer the car to look as subdued as possible. A friend recommended a local named Brad to throw a new tune on it, but I would really like to know more about tuning with the EVO ecu.

Been out of DSMs for some time. Can anyone recommend a decent trans shop/member or point me towards something ready to swap in/out?

BTW - Anyone here running that muffler? I'm thinking I'll probably have to add a resonator to get it as quiet as I would like.

turbowop

I would go down a hair in aspect ratio to a 235/40. It's a lot closer to stock overall diameter than the 235/45, which is huge by comparison.

Thats the tire size on them now. What size are you running right now and what suspension are you running? I like the ride height of your (green) car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned