The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Scirocco raditator

MikeRizz

My son and I are working on his VR4. The car has a FMIC and with the piping set up the 1g Mishimoto radiator will not fit. I see a lot of mention of VR4's using a Scirocco one. Does anyone have a year/model or part number I can use to order one?

thomcasey

JUst order one for the 1988 Scirocco. They are less than $70 on Amazon for a dual core

MikeRizz

Thanks! Do they have provisions for the temp sensor or do most people relocate it to the t-stat housing. The car has a 1g housing. I assume we will just have to get creative to mount it.

biglady112

338 has an aluminum afco radiator in it for a scirocco. It fits well and allows all sorts of room for back door piping.

thomcasey

Quoting MikeRizz:
Thanks! Do they have provisions for the temp sensor or do most people relocate it to the t-stat housing. The car has a 1g housing. I assume we will just have to get creative to mount it.

They do not have a provision for the sensor,. YOu might find a plug for the VW sensor hole (it is 3 times too big) and then drill and tap it for a sensor

G

Staff member

MellowVR4

I have the AFCO scirocco in mine, fits great, cools great, creates lots of space.

biglady112

We run the temp sender in the thermostat housing. That is a safer place as the head is the hottest point ofbthebayatem and the first to show if there is a problem.

prove_it

Umm... That is a fan switch in the stock radiator, not a sensor. Put that in the thermo housing and the fans will run damn near all the time. It works, but not the best.

slugsgomoo

Mike, one suggestion that might work, I had the stock radiator and DSM style short route piping (kinetic kit) on my car for a while. I had to move the radiator brackets so that it shifted (my recollection is towards the drivers side) which allowed it to fit with the piping. I did not have A/C, and it wouldn't work with A/C but if you're considering a scirocco radiator that's not an issue anyway.

The upside to using the OEM radiator was that I had a lot more room for pusher fans & such.

BENE38A

what is the number for this radiator? looking on summit as suggested in another post but there are no part number references. There are many options different heights etc wondering if anyone who has bought it knows the number.
click

MikeRizz

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quoting prove_it:</font><hr />
Umm... That is a fan switch in the stock radiator, not a sensor. Put that in the thermo housing and the fans will run damn near all the time. It works, but not the best.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">

According to Mitsu, it is a temp sensor:

Temp sensor
2.0 liter
COOLING »Cooling fan
Mitsubishi › Eclipse › 1990-1994

While it does control when the fans turn on, it is based on the coolant operating temp. Not sure why relocating it would make the fans run all the time.

MikeRizz

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
^ +1

I'm assuming this car does not have A/C? I've only seen this specific core run in place of the stock condenser.

No the car does not have AC. We do not have the stock radiator either. And where we already installed a 1g t-stat housing I don't want a VR4 radiator with a second cap.

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
Quoting biglady112:
We run the temp sender in the thermostat housing. That is a safer place as the head is the hottest point ofbthebayatem and the first to show if there is a problem.

+1

I use the VDO "Vision Black" mechanical engine temperature gauge purchased here:

egauges.com

I removed this little guy, the thermo vacuum switch temp switch located on the water neck to the right of the coolant temperature sensor if I'm not mistaken:

Using the VDO gauge as a replacement for the thermo switch and the accessories that came provided was all I needed to perform the installation. Very stock appearing and complements the galant interior quite nicely to boot while providing a "fairly" accurate coolant temperature reading.

Last edited:

prove_it

This has all been discussed greatly in the past in other threads.

MikeRizz

I searched for Scirocco radiator and found lots of threads but none had the year info I was looking for.

prove_it

Wasn't talking to you. Your good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned