The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

scirocco rad

Larry Parker

Who is using one? Was there a improvement over stock? I still would like to replace my radiator barn talon unit... It worked fine for a while, but the Galant gets a bit warm on stage...

lp

GVR4_1057

I am running an aluminum be cool scirocco radiator and have had no problems.

curtis

I've got a real vw radiator with the tubes and fins like a trans cooler and have no problems. You have to remember the big block chevy guys use them on drag cars with no problems

But part of it is the fan I have, its from a passat and is a little long because the passat has the same style radiator just a few inches longer but has a single motor and dual fan driven by a belt system. If you don't mind junkyard parts hit the yard and look for a early 90's passat or audi which has the same thing.

The motor is big and a two speed unit but the corrado motor is shorter in lenght and doesn't stick out in the way as much and bolts to the factory vw shroud.

Larry Parker

Do stock hoses fit on the alum unit?

curtis

Larry if your interested I remembered I had this in the shop . Its two afco cores welded up in a dual pass design. The tubes need to be finished up and the fitting on top for a vent. Probably 30 mintes to finish I just haven't got to it. Its 21 by 13.5 total size with 2 inch supply and return pipes and the small aluminum piece is there for the factory sender. Theres the normal handling bent fins but noting to stop air flow just isn't gucci racing.

Pm me and well talk price, trade etc.

BoostedAWD91

ive been running one close to a year now and im very happy with it. i actually
ran it all winter last year w/o a fan and never came close to overheating

IncorpoRatedX

Search Larry, search. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click

GVR4_1057

I had to weld a different diameter lower outlet on mine to fit the stock hose.

Larry Parker

Good info... Thanks for the help... Looks like summit also sells a set of fans to bolt up to it that looks nice... My issue was always getting warm AFTER a stage is complete... You run 2-25 miles flatout and then come to a stop at the stage end... Sometimes you need to wait and sometimes you transit to another stage thats just a few miles and dont have time for the motor to cool... The highest temps I saw on stage where normally 205-210 maybe a bit more... The motor always crept up temp after the stage whislt sitting... I would bet this is due to not enough flow from my tripac fans... I think I have about 1200 cfm total; half of which is a pusher and the other a puller...

I purchased a EVO 8 hood vent to install, but the fit will not be clean and nice due to the evo hood profile... No install for me...

LP

G

Staff member
Afco scirroco should be perfect for you.

SleepinGVR4

+1

Chris (BoostedAWD91) ran his afco with out a fan for a long time with out it over heating.

Also I wonder if you have JDM hood vents installed. Mark swears that they dramtically reduce underhood temps on his car.

Larry Parker

I am sure they do... The hood vent in my talon dropped temps for sure.... I had yet to install one i the VR4 as I felt it had more flow into the eng bay...

Note the wavy hood? It blew up after tech at that rally and we found one at a junk yard and swapped it before the event!! Then this happened...

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned