The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rotor and Dust Removal?

Do I need to remove the axle nut to remove the rotor and dust shield? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
Thanks!

turbowop

Axle nut is not required to remove the rotor.

But to remove the dust shield, everything has to come apart and even the wheel bearing need to be pressed out if I recall.

89Mirageman

Unless you don't plan to put it back on. Then tin snips and some pliers to bend it off will work.

EgonOlsen

I think we usually just cut a "vedge" at the bottom of the new shield, so you can put it on without removing everything.

transparentdsm

can you take pictures of this? i would like to see as i just recently repainted everything and the only way i could see to get the dust shield on/off is to remove everything and press the hub out of the knuckle.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting EgonOlsen:
I think we usually just cut a "vedge" at the bottom of the new shield, so you can put it on without removing everything.

I did not modify my fronts like this, but I did to the rears (he means "wedge").

89Mirageman

These wrap around the knuckle though, press fit. I would think if you cut a section out to install them they would be loose and eventually move around or even fall off. I know the rears have a bolt holding them on though.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The fronts are also held in place by the caliper bolts when mounted.

EgonOlsen

Yes what he said, there are bolts holding them in place, so cutting it in the bottom dont really matter. They accept it at inspection too and they are pretty harsh here.

Not the best drawing, but you get the idea, cut the red lines. The holes are where the bolts are if im not mistaken.

Last edited:

EgonOlsen

I actually only think the 2 lower ones are for bolts, not sure. Been a while since I changed one.
yes they hold fine, its the caliber bolts, if they fall off. well..... :p

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned