The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rescued this guy from an untimely fate today.

click

One of the 1,000 made in 1992. Number badge was removed, I might still be able to get my hands on it so I'm working hard at that. Previous owner was a stupid young kid that blew the motor up, and left it sitting by the side of the road. It was then run into, the hood was damaged and headlights destroyed. It will need those, along with a front bumper. I will be resurrecting her and daily driving/rallycrossing/autocrossing her. She's missing a lot of stuff, so I'll probably have lots of various posts trying to get my hands on stuff. Bear with me! I'm trying to restore her to her former glory.

And I'm posting here because I'm going to have a lot of questions. VR-4's are unfamiliar territory for me, but I've always loved them. I'm a DSM guy.

First round of questions (most about the interchangeability of DSM parts):
If I were to get springs for this car, can I use springs from a DSM? Galant VR-4 specific stuff seems to be pretty rare.
Does DSM 1g charge piping and sidemount stuff fit on this car?
Does this car have a rear limited slip diff? Or just the 3 bolt non-LSD?
Does anyone a center console and trunk carpet they want to sell me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, I'm looking for more general reading about galant VR-4's. If anyone has any good posts or info please link them to me, I find this board difficult to search. What are the differences between 91 and 92? Does my car have 2 piston front brakes, and are those the same brakes that come on the 1gb DSMs?

Thanks for now! I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time here. I'm in love with this car already. DSM with 4 doors!!!
Paul

raptorWagon

Welcome!

Not sure where you would mount the Sidemount as GVR4s came with a FMIC,tiny thing looks like an oil cooler in front of the radiator on the passenger side. We don't have a lot of space in our wheel wells for a SMIC. Stock routing for the charge pipe is over the exhaust manifold.
None of the USDM VR4s had a LSD just regular old 3 bolt.

Post up everything you need in the WTB section and guarantee someone will have at least one of each.
Use either " for a phrase or + before each word to narrow the search when you type stuff in. ex. +Brakes +upgrades or "Brakes".

Off the top of my head

Only difference between 91 & 92 are the tails and rear "VR-4" badging, 92s are in the tail lights, 91s have the VR-4 badge on the trunk, color matched grill, and the 5 spoke wheels vs the 8 spoke 91 wheels. 92s are x/1000 91s are x/2000.

Brakes
Yes they are the same as the 1Gb 2 Pots.

As for Springs, I think you can I may be wrong, but I know the ride height on our cars is different, but with some reading and research it might even be worth your time to do the Evo 8 Suspension conversion.

Just like 90-91 dsms, the bumpers are NLA from Mitsubishi, so you will need to source a used one in good shape. JDM front bumpers might be something you want to look into if you need a new one.

Other things
Fuel pump is the same design as a 2G dsm/Evo not a 1G, so remember that when you decide to upgrade.
Read, read, read, and read some more, till your eyes bleed, then read some more.
The ECU is not behind the stereo, it is under the passenger side kick panel against the wall, mounted vertically.
2G AWD downpipes seem to fit great
If you need a gas tank, it has to come off another VR4 or a Galant GSX (AWD Non-Turbo)
Lug Pattern is 4x114.3, however if you want 5 lug there is a writeup on that too.
If it still has 4WS and depending on the conditions of the lines, get rid of it.
ABS is up to you a lot of us have gotten rid of it.
These cars are an adventure to work on.
More info on these cars here
click

Rear side markers on the rear bumper are the same as 1Gs.
1G dsm non cruise cables work.
This is the 6th Generation Galant E39A. Made in Japan, Predates the Lancer Evo and DSM.
There is so much Tech on here, some of which you may or may not have heard of doing before.
Your first gear is longer than a DSM, HOWEVER it is weak and doesn't take kindly to being beaten on too much.

Your grammer and spelling will get you far on here, intro is pretty good.
The A/C bracket is Galant Specific.

That's all I can think of to get you started, I'm going to bed.

Have fun, you'll love the car once you get it back in shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarRacer

Welcome. Looks like you'll have a bit of work to do before the car is where you want it but that's not a bad thing. You'll get a chance to get acquainted with the car and put your workmanship into the car. Good luck with the project.

Send your VIN in a PM to iceman69510 here on the board and he might have it in the registry and will know the badge number.

4Grim

Thank you for saving that GVR4....looks like its far from its glory days, but it sounds like you are going to bring it back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I got some stock 01 headlights if you need them to help you start out restoring her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Like what Raptorreed suggested..post in the WTB section. If you want, I can do my best to get you misc body parts here and there as I have decent access to 6th gen Galants here and there and some stuff I got extra while restoring mine. PM a list and I will do my best to get them for you.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
What's the vin #? This may have been one I rescued, cleaned up & sold. Here's how it looked when I was done with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

img0097p.jpg

img0105x.jpg

img0101lv.jpg

Last edited:

Polish

The window trim fading doesn't match and it's missing the GVR4 sticker in the small back windows. It could very well be it but I just noticed those two things.

It looks like everyone covered most of your questions but to answer one of them, I did have a sidemount on my car for a very short time. I have no pics but I had it routed like a 1g is stock basically but with a 2g Side mount. It required custom mounting but it fit in the same basic spot as a 1g/2g. Obviously you'll need a custom intake, custom IC pipes, and a battery relocation. I switched it to a side mount right before I parted it, it was like that for maybe a week but it worked fine. You could do it with stock 1g/2g parts for cheap. The shorter pipe routing and larger core size over the stock GVR4 intercooler would be worth it if you're on a budget.

mountaineerjeff

the reflector on the front fender is what gave it away for me

thedsmguy

PM me with everything you need. I've parted a couple of these out and might have some of the items you need, I know I have a set of stock headlights for sure but I'd like a updated list. Thanks for having the guts to bring that one back, its nice to see another guy names Paul on here as well.

Paul
TheDSMguy

G

Staff member
That could have been added by one of the ricers that owned it after I sold it.

Nartanian

Welcome! Kudos for saving a vr4 in MN. I don't know everything bout vr4s myself, but if you ever need the extra man power, I'd be willing to help, granted I'm not at work or something.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned