The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Repeal the DOT/EPA “25 Year Rule”

mitsuturbo

4Grim

I signed this a couple days ago

prove_it

Done and done.

MellowVR4

done son

strokin4dr

Signed

ktmrider

Quoting coyotes:
what would you buy if this was repealed? You can get an 89 R32 legally now.

Get an R34 now rather than later.

Will never happen due to emission regs and NTSA crash testing rules ( or lack thereof for those gray market vehicles we covet ).

mitsuturbo

Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting coyotes:

Will never happen due to emission regs and NTSA crash testing rules ( or lack thereof for those gray market vehicles we covet ).

Funny you should mention Emissions regulations, considering japan has more stringent emissions requirements than the US, and i believe most of Europe does as well. I know for a fact that cars like the 8th gen VR4 and legnum have more than enough emissions devices in place to meet US requirements.

NHTSA crash testing? Hmm.. kit cars aren't required to pass "crash testing" yet they can still legally be registered.

If you ask me, it's a bunch of rumors, smoke and mirrors.

EHmotorsports

I had to run my AE86 through emissions. The 20v bt 4age passed with flying colors with no catalytic converter.

Wookalar

"* Importers of grey-market vehicles have been targeted by monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorist activity."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ktmrider

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Quoting ktmrider:
Quoting coyotes:

Funny you should mention Emissions regulations, considering japan has more stringent emissions requirements than the US, and i believe most of Europe does as well. I know for a fact that cars like the 8th gen VR4 and legnum have more than enough emissions devices in place to meet US requirements.

NHTSA crash testing? Hmm.. kit cars aren't required to pass "crash testing" yet they can still legally be registered.

If you ask me, it's a bunch of rumors, smoke and mirrors.

True kit cars maybe ( never looked at what Fast-5 does for that ) however ask former Kaizo R-34 owners if it's smoke and mirrors.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
*emissions

JDM 1987-92 era cars we are now driving, had no EGR when sold in Japan.

Same car imported here, had vacuum operated or duty controlled EGR (Cali).

I run the JDM Cyclone dual runner manifold, and with new emissions control equipment (ie. oxygen sensor, plugs, wires, older 2.5" generic cat),
the engine passed emissions testing in my province (federal), with a very large margin.

Don't worry so much about emissions, unless they scrutinize every little thing installed on the car, as part of your state inspection process.

I'd like to see you guys have an earlier date for importation, but then we'd have less to choose from.

America was made for cars, built in America. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Touche ....

mitsuturbo

Yeah, it's funny that cars which are now allowed under the 25 year rule DID NOT meet crash/emissions specs for US, but most newer cars which ARE NOT allowed to be imported are the ones which have to meet more stringent requirements overseas than we have here in most jurisdictions.

I don't think it was the fact the R34 didn't meet specs, it's that they were imported "illegally" or registered illegally. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that "the powers that be" are more concerned with things being done right and all the bureaucratic hoops being jumped through than they are with public safety or tailpipe emissions. If your vehicle was suspected to be involved as part of a circumvention of bureaucracy, you could find yourself in a real shitpickle.

click

It just happened to some Land Rover owners. Not necessarily because they did anything wrong, but because someone pulled some shenanigans to get the vehicles into the country in the first place. Some of the vehicles were even over 25 years old. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

coyotes

you'd think our government had more important things to do than seizing vehicles. Our tax dollars hard at work on unnecessary BS

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned