The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

recommend me an awesome slimfan...

curtis

Well should work fine but please build some kind of bracket system and not use those damn through the core zip ties. The idiot that designed those I'm sure has stock in radiator companies.

BluFalcon

I'm using a bolt on FAL radiator fan for a Civic in my GVR4. FAL Fan Honda Civic It's a fiberglass bodied unit, with an integral shroud. Nice, compact unit. The brackets that come with the fan fit on the GVR4 radiator with a bit of trimming, and all I had to do was make a jumper plug for the GVR-4 fan plug to mate up with the Honda plug on the fan. Almost a bolt on operation, very easy to do.

One issue with the fan though, is the cheap rubber insulator that they use to provide a barrier between the shroud and the back of the radiator. Over time, this material starts to come apart and will get sucked into the fan, jamming the blades and fry the motor. Ask me how I know..... Bought another one, and installed it in the car. Car handles Texas heat and summers with no issues and I have enough clearance to run a larger intake pipe.

blacksheep

Quoting turbowop:
So I ordered this little guy today: click

Hopefully it works well.

WTF Wop, I could have beat that price, dude!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

BluFalcon

Mark,
Here's those pics. Sorry about the quality, but all I've got is my cell phone camera. Fan fits perfectly after trimming the top bracket, and provides plenty of clearance. Just requires some rewiring, and a little work, but it adapts well for use on the GVR-4.

Brianawd

Its summer time. Dump the coolant and run water and waterweter. 100% water with waterweter does a much better job then a 50/50 mix. Glycol does not help cool a motor it only keeps the water from freezing.

JNR

Ethylene glycol raises the boiling point of water, but depending on the (cap) system pressure, he'll probably be alright with DISTILLED water, as it is probably the best thing you can run (higher heat transfer rate) + it won't corrode aluminum like glycol does. I'd say run it too, so long as you're not boiling over water, although I'd say if you have 16 psi system pressure, that'd be ~250 F at sea level so you should be fine.

Barnes

Since when does etheylene glycol corrode aluminum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

turbowop

While I do realize that water and/or water wetter does work better than a glycol mixture, that isn't the issue. Temps are fine with airflow thru the radiator while moving, and crappy when in traffic. That points to a fan and/or shroud issue. I'll know better after installing the new shrouded fan, which should show up tomorrow.

Also, I think that ECMlink shows higher temps than Pocketlogger. I've been using Pocketlogger for over a decade now, so while the car runs the same temps it always has, I now realize they're higher than I want them to be. I know this because the fans come on at a higher temp shown via link, yet my dash gauge, while inaccurate, is still consistant with readings it has shown for years. I guess I should fully test this by logging with ECMlink and then plugging in Pocketlogger right after unplugging my laptop for ECMlink.

JNR

Quoting Barnes:
Since when does etheylene glycol corrode aluminum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ever look at an aluminum thermostat housing? However, some OTC coolants do contain additives that help prevent corrosion and especially if you don't use pure water.

Mark, have you hooked up a mechanical temp. gauge to see what your actual temps are?

Last edited:

Brianawd

Its not the glycol causing the aluminum to corrode. It caused by the 50% water in the system turning acidc. Thats why your should used distilled water in your cooling system.

JNR

Perhaps that is true...I also think that when people use to much % glycol they run into problems and esp. if they don't change it out, as there are other materials it passes thru like iron, copper, etc...especially when used with tap/contaminated water, etc.

So yeah, perhaps on its own it doesn't corrode aluminum if we're talking antifreeze that has additives (pure ethyl glycol does nothing to prevent corrosion, afaik)...

I've just seen some *nasty* damage on aluminum intake manifolds on SBC's for instance that also used iron heads, copper/brass radiators and the wrong % of antifreeze withwho knows how many miles and what sort of water.

Last edited:

turbowop

I thought distilled water was to be used for keeping minerals out of the system since they can cause build up over time. I think even distilled water can become acidic or at least corrode the cooling system if a strong enough mixture of glycol isn't used. The glycol is for anti-corrosion, lubrication of the pump, and higher boiling point and lower freezing point.

No, I don't have a mechanical temp gauge. I've always used the ECU temp sensor to monitor temps via Pocketlogger or now, ECMlink.

JNR

Distilled water has no minerals in it, so it's probably used to keep anything 'foreign' from entering the system which could accelerate corrosion.

Well, imagine the oem sender should be accurate enough for reference temps...was curious how you were getting the temps.

toybreaker

iconoclast
It's worth noting that problems with cooling a vehicle at low speeds can have many causes.

^^^ This is by far and large the biggest one that most folks never consider.

They'll bolt on the biggest/baddest fan they can, and leave the core filled with crap that impedes the airflow.

Back flushing the core with a stream of water will remove the vast majority of this blockage and lower the load on the system considerably!

Be sure to backflush the a/c condensor as well.

Straightening the fins will help a small amount, (but it's tedious as hell.)

Just this simple step has helped every vehicle achieve lower coolant temps and cut the fan cycling down considerably.

... and it's free! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barnes

For the record:

Also, Toybreak:

You make an EXCELLENT point. When I was doing a bunch of maintenance on my '98 Camry with 200k miles at the time I did this. However the only reason I washed the radiator core was due to all the bugs. However when it came time to actually wash the core, I was AMAZED at how much sand/dirt/grit came out. I had to give my driveway a serious cleaning after that.

JNR

Quoting toybreaker:
Straightening the fins will help a small amount, (but it's tedious as hell.)...

For sure! One thing that helps is to use a comb (like the ace pocket ones).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned